PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info » Just returned from Xeurini
Just returned from Xeurini 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Bron Rayburn
What an amazing first experience on the Amazon. Thw water levels were still high in places and not so bad in others. We had a FULL 7 days of fishing using every hour of it most every day. Our group's big fish was 17.5. I was able to land a 16lbs and 14 lbs while trolling with a wood chopper. I must say all I could hear in the back of my mind was some of the earlier conversations about being spooled. Never the less I was able to get both of them turned around and to the boat. I had another 14lbs explode on a Amazon Ripper the traditional way. WOW, what fun that was. I suposse it would not be a trip without stories of straightened hooks on JIG'S and straightened out rings. The most frustrating part of my story was all the time spent to put the best rings on and researching the best JIGS to buy with the best hooks. We had one of our guys snap a HD pole to a BIG BIG fish as well. The lead fisherman in our group has been 28 times and his experience showed with 13 fish over 10 Lbs. No one caught more fish over 10 lbs then he did. Some of you fisherman would know better than I, but from what I have heard our numbers were average at best. There were several times we struggled to catch a fish. I feel blessed to have had the action that we did. I would like to know the best way to get rid of my "NO SEE 'EM ' bites. What a pain they were.

Regards-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Hey Bron:

Glad you finally got to go. Sounds like a great trip, no-seeums not withstanding. Little bastards are really annoying and little you can do to discourage them. Fortunately for me, the only time I've really encountered them, they liked my partner more than me. He looked like a bad case of chicken pox.

Do you plan to go again?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Bron,

Glad your first experience was "amazing" and that you caught some nice mid-teeners! I had a slight problem about a year ago with no-seeums on another Rio Branco tributary. The Branco is a "white water" river with "black water" tributaries and at higher water levels, has many more such bugs than other major rivers off the Negro.

On my trip, I kept my long-sleeve shirts and long pants on at all times awake and used quite a bit of bug spray to keep bites to a minimum. (I usually switch to shorts and t-shirt after coming off the water.) The no-seeums were worse around the little village that our charter flight flew in and out of. I ended up with just a few bites but others in the group were covered. Mine went away (along with the itching) in 3 to 5 days. Try not to itch them so that they get infected. Time will heal I guess.

Call me when you get a chance.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Just returned from Xeurini 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info