PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info » Sept 18 BWE report
Sept 18 BWE report 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
I'll gladly follow on to Art's report since I had a group of four on the BWE the week after.

We fished the Rio Matipuri, Lago Tucuira and some of the Igapo Acu. The boat took 2400 fish for the week among six anglers - basically 100 fish a day average for each boat. Most numbers I've ever seen in my four trips. Big fish in my group of four were a 21, 18, 15, 2 14's, 13 and 2 12's. The 15 was my largest fish. One of the newbies in the group caught both the 21 and 18.

Jigs (red/white and red/yellow) did most of the damage with choppers a distant second followed by Yozuri's a very distant third.

Points were king as was standing timber with bushy shrubs mixed in. The fish would stack up and you could take 20-30 fish out of that one spot. We took 23 fish between 5-9 lbs out of one such hole. Would have been 24, but a caiman took a 7 lb'er off the end of my line. Simply nuts.

And now a fish story: I had a 4 lb fish grab my chopper right at the boat, run to the right, take a quick turn back the other way and tear the rod right out of my hand. I tried to grab the outfit as it hit the water and missed. With about a second of delay, I simply dove in after it. I figured it was only the second day and I didn't want to lose my favorite chopper reel and the BWE's rod. I could see the rig ahead of me as I swan underwater, but he fish was just too fast and pulled it away. I surfaced empty handed. The guide didn't hesitate, he dove in too. Neither of us could find it. We climbed back into the boat having recovered nothing but the Chapstick that had floated out of my pocket. We stood for several minutes just looking around. The next thing I know the guide jumps back into the water, swims over to the trees about 15 feet away and comes up with my rod - with the fish still hooked and we landed it. Hilarious. Another boat that was within sight of the commotion came up to us at the end of the day and asked what the heck was going on with all the splashing. I told them to grab another caipirinha, they weren't going to believe this.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
correction to my report - it was 2400 among 8 anglers - still a great week
Now that was a GREAT story!!!!!! 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Bron Rayburn
Thanks for sharing
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't get much better than that. We need to compile a "guide" story book. There are so many good stories of guides and what they do. They are a big part of the great experience. I had a guide get a 4/0 treble go in and out of his thumb (straight thru by the bone). Not to mention the 15lb peacock was still attached and flopping around. We got it out without too much fuss and then he turned, grabbed the oar and pointed to a ripple in the water where a peacock was surfacing. Went on the rest of the day as if nothing had happened. I thought our day was done... silly me.

Andrew Taylor
Sept 18 BWE report 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info