PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Forum Catch-All » Brazil fishing options
Brazil fishing options 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
These days there are many options when it comes to fishing for PB's in Brazil. Yacht, Brazilian boat, float camps and tent camps. What does everyone prefer and why?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Jim Wright
I like RP's floating camps for the following reasons:

1. Small party of 8.
2. Camp close to fishing.
3. Large two person cabins.
4. Exclusive waters with less fishing pressure.
5. Love the beaches in the evening.
6. They filet,vacuum-pack, and freeze your catch. (just kidding!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
CVaught
This is a tough question that I have not figured out yet either. I have done the yacht, brazilian boat, fixed fishing camps, and RP float camps. Honestly what I have decided so far is that it all depends on the company and the fishing. If the fishing is good then pretty much any place you are staying at will be perfect. If the fishing is bad but company is good, then it still is a wonderful trip. Thankfully, I have never been on a trip with bad fishing and bad company.

The yachts and brazilian boats are larger parties, but when we have gone have mostly been our party being the majority of the boat. Then it doesn't matter if the fishing is poor as the company is still awesome. When the fishing has been awesome, even better.

In regards to Brazilian boat vs Yacht, in my experience the only difference is that the language barrier is usually much easier on the yachts. Fishing has not been much different.

In the RP fly in cabin, I agree the fishing "can" be better with less pressure, but if you get there the last weeks of the camp (if it has been there 3 months in one location) it is pretty stressed areas you are fishing and you may actually have less options than a yacht/brazilian boat. But there are only 8 fishermen there and in my experience as been awesome and more secluded. This can also bite you in the rear if the the other fisherman are not what you want as it is harder to avoid them.

I feel the difference of cabins of float cabins that I have been to and boat are a push I think as most yachts make up for the smaller cabin space with better dining/bar/outdoor areas than the floating cabins. Floating cabin pros as above post I agree with. The boats I have been on usually beach at night/dinner so if you want to get out and walk around that is an option as well.

I guess I am saying in my opinion you can't go wrong with pretty much any option you mentioned as I feel fishing in Brazil is simply a treat regardless of method. I would happily do any of the above options again and have never been disappointed. I have been on trips with the same group in which we have caught 50 per boat in a week as well as 500 per boat in a week with the exact same operator fishing the same locations. I keep going back because of the group we go with as well as the " pb addiction". I would happily stay in a tent on a sandbar if I could catch are few 20's each day with good company (I have done this as well but not for an entire week).

This year we are going with Capt. Peacock for the first time and are looking forward to it!

Creighton Vaught
Great Answer 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Creighton,

You have a great attitude and answer. All are fun if the fishing is good and company means a lot as you say. I've been on all types of operations many times and had "great trips and poor trips" on each, but as they say "any day of fishing (the Amazon) is better than any day of work. (Even though I am working when fishing.)

There are pros and cons of each (and they may change from week to week) and each angler has to evaluate how important the pros and cons are to him/her. There are so many factors that enter into the right decision for a particular person or group of anglers.

Additionally, Murphy's law often takes place in the jungle and changes everything, even the "pros" of one operation. Being far from the local repair shop means a problem can ruin a weeklong trip. Weather also can impact the pros and cons of each. So does season and of course, the most impactful of all, water level changes.

I'm looking forward to a great season this year and look forward to others commenting here on their favorite type operation!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
The one advantage of a yacht operation, which has really come into play the last few years with unpredictable weather/water, is their mobility with great reach.

While the floating cabins can move, they cannot do so fast or far enough to account for rapidly changing conditions.

I agree with the comments on the company. Fortunately most fishermen that go to the trouble and expense to undertake such a trip just seem to be good company in general. Not always the case. Every once and awhile an ugly American, drunken idiot or some other bozo slips into the group.

Having said that, I would happily take any accommodation in order to hammer some peacocks and anything else that happens to be biting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Jim Wright
Rick,

On our trip last year 8 men went in...and 7 of us came out.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Jim:

I hope you're going to explain your last comment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Jim Wright
Rick,

OK! it not as bad as it sounds. On the last day our group leader bailed on us and transfered to the Black Water Explorer to continue a filming project and then continued on to La Zona for filming of Golden Dorodo. As Rob is a personal friend of the entire group we made sure the BWE hid all the Vodka on board.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Cool....sounds like a great itinerary even sans vodka...
Brazil fishing options 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Forum Catch-All