PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Duolock/cross-lok Snaps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Normally I use a small Berkley cross loc snap for minnow baits and jigs. I prefer to tie directly to woodchopper, poppers, and spook like lures. Yes, you need to upgrade to stronger split rings and hooks. I prefer those triple rings from Wolverine Tackle if they fit your lure. These rings can pull a truck. I also prefer Owner trebles which in my opinion are the stongest, sharpest in the business.

For line I am probably the only one on this forum to prefer mono over braid for woodchoppers. My reason behind this is often when a little wind the braid is so thin that the wind takes it and tangles on the front hook. This might be just me. Rolling Eyes I like 40 lbs Trilene Big Game and have never had a problem. For my minnow baits and jigs I like 50lbs PowerPro or Suffix. For rods I prefer short muskie rods about 6 ft.

Just make sure you have fun and do not get caught up and buy thousands of dollars in tackle. Many of these items are quite expensive. In my opinion the main items are rings and strong hooks. Also remember most have weight restrictions so do not come down with a suitcase full of lures, hooks, etc.. which I have in the past. You do not need that much and hopefully all in camp get along together to share items others do not have. Cool

Have a great trip and good fishing,
Bob Daly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Too much tackle is a problem we all have been guilty of I know. When I got home from some trip and open my tackle bag I would think why didn't I use these lures. Seems I always get in the rut of fishing with what caught fish on the previous trip. It is hard for me to get away from the big top waters, too hard headed I guess. The main thing is like Bob said have fun and don't get caught up in the numbers game. Have a great trip and be sure to check back on your return.

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:30 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Dave:

There's a saying: Which part of the tackle do you want to fail? So every component in the rig has that risk. My personal feeling is to limit the opportunities by limiting the components. I would tie direct to the large baits. One less component to fail.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
My opinion, definitely drop the Big Game Woodchoppers and the PB Specials. With the Pavon Props and the Woodchopper Slims you've more than got that covered. Personally 6-8 prop plugs each is enough, consider taking extra hooks, split rings, screw eyes, and props to repair if needed. Depending on where you're fishing you quite possibly will run into a weight problem trying to carry too much tackle on the small plane into the jungle. I know the float planes want it under 40#'s each. 50 jigs will be the bare minimum for 2 people. Don't forget extra line. With the heavy braid, one backlash or break off could cause a respool. I end up respooling one or two reels every trip for one reason or another.

Dink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Dave,

You will definitely have to look at your weight. Last year River Plate had everyone limited to 36# total weight each. This includes tackle, rods, clothes, camera's........everything. It takes a little planning to bring everything and keep within the limit. A little advice.......buy the lightest carry or duffel bag you can get your hands on. Gives you the option to carry more tackle....... Laughing

Dink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I agree with Dink and would definately cut back on the prop baits. What I do is to take a small bottle of clear finger nail polish along with a few colors to patch up the woochopper type lures. Cool Let them dry for a few hours and they are good as new. When they are constantly bitten up by the peacocks, they tend to sink and not work well.

Also Luhr Jensen for one sells propeller kits. Many times the back prop screw gets totally bent so it has to be replaced. I also like to take along different sized props and see which is working the best. Shocked

Most likley you will be fishing the Itapara. I am heading there late Jan so watch for my report. Hopefully the water levels cooperate this year.
Rolling Eyes
Good fishing, Bob
Prop baits 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
To reduce weight and have an assortment of prop baits one trick is to take a few different bodies with no hardware on them. Then you can switch out the good with the bad or busted up lures. A good pair of split ring pliers is essential. I have tried many and suggest Texas tackle pliers http://www.highrollerwest.com/site/456404/product/SRP58-9700378 I also take fingernail polish in matching colors and also clear and with glitter. At night paint over the places that have lost their paint. This will keep the lure from water logging as fast. For snaps, I don't care for them on very many lures as they reduce response time from the jerk. Although on jerk baits they can actually make a more erratic motion. There is only one snap I would recommend and that is Stay lock snaps http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=567 I learned of these from my good friend and fellow PBA member Dr Scott Triara King Krug.

IMHO

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
AndrewTaylor
Cross Lock snaps are very convenient, but I would recommend using them sparingly or not at all. If you must use a snap, use a "stay-lok". If you are using cross locks, then at least use the rubber sleeve technique to prevent the snap from opening while a fish is on. I lost a 20lb plus fish when the snap "opened" all by itself during the battle. Fish was by the boat and snap unhooked from lure and it swam off slowly with my lure in it's mouth. I was left staring at an open snap on the end of my line. From that moment on, I started using a small rubber sleeve (skirt collar) that I slide down onto the snap to prevent it from opening inadvertantly. Then I graduated to staylock snaps and mostly to no snap at all. Stay-lok were developed with this exact issue in mind. Downside is they can be tricky to open, esp if you have trembly hands (which can happen to anyone after some big peacock action).

My take is to tie directly on. Thought process is: the less components between you and a big peacock, the less chance of one failing. Change out the parts you know fail the most: split rings and hooks, make sure your line is up to snuff, and you have your best shot at landing the 25 pounder when he decides to maul your lure. Usually you don't learn this lesson until you have experienced the misfortune of losing one first. But take it from anyone on this forum that has been down a few times - if there is a weakness in your tackle, the peacock will find it and break your heart!

Great stuff 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Rescue tape has been out a few years now. Great stuff for a lot of jobs!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Duolock/cross-lok Snaps 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle