PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Green horn (1st timmer) for Amazon Bass Fishing
Green horn (1st timmer) for Amazon Bass Fishing 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
Bron Rayburn
Just a few questions if you have some input. When putting braid on reel do you start with mono if so how much? Does everyone put new hooks and split rings on the Wood Choppers? What are the names of all the lures I should buy? How many? What color or will that vary thru out the year and depending on conditions? We are headed out December 10th.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTH9gmeG7DM

excellent video on the link above regarding braided line
My 2 cents 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Just a few questions if you have some input. When putting braid on reel do you start with mono if so how much?

Most would recommend a reel that is light weight but has enough capacity to fill about 100 yards of line. The weight of the line would be based on the type of lure.

For Woodchoppers, it is reccomended to use 80lb braid.
For Jerkbaits and Spooks, 60-65lb.
For Jigs, 30-40 lbs.

That being said, if your reel can handle mono backing and still hit those yardage numbers above, you don't need much ... 10 yards it probably plenty. You would be doing this to avoid the slippage that can happen using an arbor knot around the spool with braid.

Bad news for this method is you add a lot of bulk to your spool and the connection from braid to mono is typically a weak connection unless your are great at tying biminis.

A better alternative is to tie your braid directly to the spool whiffle holes (if it has them) or by putting some electrical tape around the spool to give braid something to grip to.

Does everyone put new hooks and split rings on the Wood Choppers?
Yes, you should do this ... Owner trebles and split rings are hard to beat.

What are the names of all the lures I should buy? How many?
There are a lot of options, and this board has a number of posts on lure selections. The top categories are woodchoppers, jerkbaits/minnows, spooks, and jigs.

What color or will that vary thru out the year and depending on conditions?

The level of the water stain is what I believe to be the most important in determining color. You should ask about that. If you are in heavily stained waters, natural colors are less effective (greens, olive, blues, etc.). In heavily stained waters, you want more yellows, reds, and whites. Others may also have opinions here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Bron,

The answers to all your questions lie here on the forum, just look at the archived posts or do a search.

I haven't used mono under my braid, but I do anchor it down with black electrical tape to prevent slippage or digging in. That has worked well for me.

BTW, don't buy many of the topwater prop baits, eg "WoodChopper" style. I'd only buy 6 of these lures, either Pavon Props, K-lures Chico Rippers or Highroller RipRollers. The traditional Woodchoppers are big and harder to work. They've also been discontinued by Luhr-Jensen, but you can find some on-line. I like the Woodchopper Slims better than the original size. You don't need to upgrade the hardware on these lures since most come with upgraded hardware. If you really want to, I'd recommend Owner ST-66 trebels in the 3/0 size and Owner Hyperwire split rings in size 7.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I still like my Trilene Big Game 40# mono especially when working woodchoppers so reasons I have previously posted!! Cool
Daiichi #98Q Wide Gaps are best hooks for peacock 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Bron,

I, like many experienced peacock bass anglers, use the new wide gap Daiichi 7X strong Bleeding Bait #D98Q treble hooks on most of our lures that are targeting double digit fish. They are specifically designed for peacock bass and the ones I prefer. I do hope that all those anglers going after big peaocks will just try them once; they will become easily addicted to the 7X wide gap Daiichi hooks just like they are or will be to the greatest fish on earth!

I feel it is impossible for any fish to straighten (or bend the point outward noticeably) one of these hooks. I've seen big peacock easily straighten a 4X and even bend the point some of an ocassional 6X strong treble. Again, I normally change out only the front and center hooks on a big 3-hook topwater tail spinner plug. Slightly smaller submergent 2-hook plugs get one or two of the 7X hooks depending on plug length, shape and action. The front hook on almost any lure is the most important by far. Good luck to all that try these hooks. You'll thank me after your first monster.

Check out some of these additional past posts for my hook input:

http://www.peacockbassassociation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1205&highlight=treble+hook
http://www.peacockbassassociation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1228&highlight=treble+hook

Last edited by Larry Larsen on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Larry,

Do you own stock in Daiichi hooks? Laughing I bought a bunch of them to swap out with the factory stuff and they work great. I caught a 15lber last year trolling a Yozuri Tobimaru with them.

I actually prefer the Owner ST-66 trebels. I caught a 42lb and 48lb golden dorado with them, no problem. Dorado have harder jaws, sharp teeth and the hookup ratio is lower than peacocks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I'll second the recommendation on the Owner hooks. In my opinion the strongest and sharpest hooks on the market bar none! Cool
Why 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
the Owner ST-66 anot not the Owner ST-76?

http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/products/hooks/treblehooks.htm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
The Owner ST-66 are more than adequate for peacocks, no need to use the 5X ST-67. Keep in mind, not all 4X hooks are created equal! An Owner 2/0 4X treble MIGHT be stronger than a similar size VMC 4X, etc. Nothing against VMC, they're good hooks, I just used them as an example. The ST-66 holds up perfectly to huge golden dorado, I never bent a hook. I think the ST-67 would be fine for golden dorado and saltwater species, but overkill for peacocks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Bron I always put duct tape on the spool before spooling the line and one main thing is always float test your lures after you change the hooks and split rings to make sure they set in the water right. I have bought big topwaters right out of the box that would float in the vertical position in the water. Float testing lets you adjust the right size hooks in the right position. If it does not sit in the water right you will not get the correct sound and action and most good guides will tell you quick that it is no good. Good luck.

Bobby W. Foster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I agree with Bobby. Get out and try out your peacock bass lures and equipment on your local pond. Most have never tossed lures as large as woodchoppers plus you have to get the right "wooshing" sound. Experiment with the pitch of the prop as this can be a factor in whether the peacock hits or declines. Practice with speeds and longer/shorter rips. The key is getting the bugs worked out before you go so no time is wasted and you are primed for that monster on the first cast!!
Green horn (1st timmer) for Amazon Bass Fishing 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle