PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Change your braid after each trip!!!!
Change your braid after each trip!!!! 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
or even mid-trip.

I have been working with Paulus (from PaulusJustFishing.com), one of the world's experts in line testing and he has tested the strength of new braid vs. used braid with shocking results.

As an example, I sent him (to Australia!) both a sample of new Sufix 832 80lb braid as well as a sample of used Sufix 832 80lb from the same spool. That was the line I used on my last Peacock trip, so it was used just for 1 week and not even full time (I was using 2 other set-ups as well).

Here are the results:

New line's ABS (absolute breaking strength): 92.10 lbs
Used line's ABS (after one week of use): 57.35 lbs

That is a ABS loss of 38%! You then take that same used line and tie it to a jig or lure and you will lose another 40% resulting in that line breaking at the hook terminal with just about 35lb of force.

For those PowerPro users, Paulus looked at a new and used sample of 65lb braid. Here are the results (with photo)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/Paulusvg/wornPP.jpg

New line's ABS (absolute breaking strength): 78.00 lbs
Used line's ABS (after one week of use): 49.5 lbs

That had a similar loss of 37%.

Paulus basically says that one good indication of line degrade is when the line loses it color ... which for me doesn't take that long.

This is not a commonly talked about issue (do to the lack of line testers), but seems like a serious one for the Peacock Bass community who rely on the strongest of line and equipment.

I know I am going to bring a change of line for all of my reels to do mid trip even if I had no cut-offs ... it just does not seem worth the risk (cost of the line vs. the cost of the trip and experience) ... so get some fresh line!!

-Art
Change your braid after each trip!!!! 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle