PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Travel Planning & Research Information » Rod length? And Tam Air
Rod length? And Tam Air 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Bron Rayburn
According to TAM airlines if your rod case is over 62" it is a $150.00 extra charge there and $75.00 fee home. Has anyone use 2 or 3 piece rods? Would it be in my best intrest to suck it up and pay the extra $ and have one piece rods?
Rods may be provided 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Bron,

Most of the Outfitters provide rods for their clients (and have for the last 3-5 years). Rod tubes are a big hassle so some anglers do take 3-piece rods in their regular roller duffle bags as a back-up. Some outfitters also provide reels but I prefer to take my own and use them with my own lures.

In the last year or so, I have heard of some anglers being charged the high rate for their rod tubes and others not, so it may be inconsistent, at best. Rod tube and the fishing rods they contain used to be exempted as "sports gear" from extra charges, but with the now standard bag fees at many airlines, those rules have changed some.

Ask your outfitter/agent if rods are provided.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Bron,

Like Larry said, most of these outfitters provide rods. I bought 3 piece travel rods from PBA Member Dink Alson. He owns Goldrush Custom Rods and handcrafts each one. He has one called the "Woodchopper Special" that works great for the topwater prop lures. I also have a medium-heavy casting and medium-heavy spinning, both 6'6".

Check out sites.google.com/site/goldrushcustomrods. I like having my own rods, makes me feel better about travelling to the Amazon without worrying about what equipment is on the other end.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Bron:

If you decide to take travel rods you can usually carry on a short tube of 36" or less down, but for some reason they (TAM) make you check it on the return. I've taken an old rod tube and cut down both of the ends that slide into each other which makes a really strong tube that I don't need to worry about checking. It slides into an old folding chair canvas carrying bag that has a shoulder strap which makes it easy to sling over my shoulder.

I too have a three piece Goldrush rod for throwing jigs. It's great. There other good choices too at all price points. I use Browning's travel rods, BPS travel rods and my Woodchopper rod is a Quantum Oceanmaster series casting rod. They all work well. Of course there is always G. Loomis, but I hate spending that much for a rod that isn't used all that much with a higher probability of breakage.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
Best bang for the buck, Bass Pro Shops 6'6" EXTREME 3 piece travel rod, MH with 10 guides for $100. This rod performed beyond expectations the last two trips. I don't need a $400 Loomis rod for throwing any topwater as I have no problem "feeling" a Teener on a less expensive rod.
Rod length? And Tam Air 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Travel Planning & Research Information