PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » New Sufix "Performance Stretch Braid"
New Sufix "Performance Stretch Braid" 
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
http://www.sufix.com/usa/fishing_line/performance_stretch_braid/

Interesting ... at 6% stretch do you think it would make a difference on some of the lure throws when peacocks jump and other stresses line situations like rubbing against cover, etc.

Max size is 65lbs.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
I like the sensitivity of braid when using jigs, also I don't want to give that peacock any extra play during the fight or jump; less stretch also helps with hooksets. I don't have much trouble with the handling characteristics of braid except the occasional backlash when I make some bonehead cast.

Now, Bob Daly likes Trilene Big Game mono, so maybe he'll chime in.

Dan
Stretch braid 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I have tried the new stretch braided line from another company while in Thailand and I did not like it. Did not hold memory well and started to kink up. Maybe this is a one time problem as Sufix is a much better company.
In regardless to Dr. Dorado Hanon's comment on my like for Trilene Big Game is true. While using only woodchopper type lures I like the heavier mono over braid. The problem I always had is reeling like hell and jerking hard I constantly get the braid wrapped around the back props especially in windy conditions. Maybe a heavier braid with a slightly thicker diameter would help me. However I do like a little stretch in hard hitters like peacock bass. Keep saying I am going to try mono for dorado but don't think I could get enough line on my spool for these beasts.
During my first season fishing dorado, a lady from Brazil whom I fished with hammered the dorado when jigging using mono. Think the stretch helped by not pulling the hook out of the dorado mouth.
However use what you have confidence with and are experienced in tying the best knots, etc..... Don't listen to everyone on this forum but try both type of lines and see what fits your fishing style the best!!! Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Bob brings up a good point about mono; the extra stretch may be less likely to rip the lure/hook out of the fishes' mouth. The stretch provides a little extra time for the fish to hold on to the bait while you set the hook. On the other hand, hard mouth fish like dorado and tigerfish may be easier to hook with a non-stretch braided line. With braid, you can compensate for it's unforgiveness by using a fast taper rod tip and easing up on your drag.
So, I purchased a spool of 65lb Stretch 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
So I purchased a spool of 65lb to use in my upcoming line tests, and simply side by side compared it to the Sufix 832 65lb and the Sufix 832 80lb.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/20110726002.jpg/

In the photo, the order from left to right is: the 832 65lb, the Stretch 65lb, then the 832 80lb.

What is surprising is how thick the stretch braid is ... hopefully in the photo it is easy to tell that the Stretch braid 65lb is much thicker than the 80lb 832 braid. I confirmed this with my micrometer. On the packaging, the Sufix 832 is listed as thicker than the 65lb Stretch. This is another example of manufactures not having consistency across their own brands (not to mention manufacture to manufacturer).

As an aside, the Stretch braid was very stiff and held the spool memory more than other braids I have looked at. It really looks like rope ... not something that I would be inclined to use (w/o performance testing) just based on diameter, look, and feel.
New Sufix "Performance Stretch Braid" 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle