PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Lure retrieve rates ... changes w/o you knowing it
Lure retrieve rates ... changes w/o you knowing it 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
As another example of my obsessiveness towards the nuances to peacock bass fishing, I have discovered a little known (likely) fact.

That the relationship between the speed of lure during a consistent retrieve and how far your lure is away from the caster is not uniform.

In other words, when you make a nice far cast of your lure, the speed at which line is spooled (and therefore your lure) when you crank the handle is SLOWER in the beginning of your retrieve and much faster at the end of your retrieve ... even though you could be rotating the handle at a similar pace.

Some may have assumed this due to the fact that more line will spool per rotation with a near full spool vs. a near empty spool (due to line having to wrap around a larger diameter of line when full and vice versa when empty).

What might be new to point out is the amount of impact it has on the actual speed of the lure ... it is surprisingly dramatic.

Here is my data:

For my 7.0 to 1 gear ratio reel, with an empty spool, a single handle crank will reel in 18 inches of line. However, the final crank of the handle to top off my full spool pulls in 29.5 inches of line. That is a difference of 64% between the speed of the lure at an initial crank versus a final crank. The rated inches per crank in my reel's documentation is 29.5, so they are rating reel based on the final crank, not an average (also something I would not have assumed).

Now, we wont be casting to the spool knot each time, so to put it in a more realistic scenario, I looked at a typical cast of an 1/2 oz. jig using 50lb Sufix 832 braid spooled on my Shimano DC7 Scorpion baitcaster on my 7" travel rod (Goldrush rod by Dink). The result was an average cast of about 50 yards. The first crank would spool 23.3 inches and the final crank would spool 29.5 inches, or a speed change of 27% over the duration of the retrieve ... still more that I would have guessed.

This likely won't change anyone's tactics , but it might make me try to speed up my retrieve a bit more in the begging and a bit less in the end ... I can't think of a practical way of testing whether or not it would make a difference in hook-ups.

There you have it.

-Art
Lure retrieve rates ... changes w/o you knowing it 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle