PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » UV coating ... anyone ever try on Peacocks?
UV coating ... anyone ever try on Peacocks? 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Anyone ever try UV coated lures for peacocks? There are sprays and epoxies to chose from. I have made a few jigs where I UV epoxied the heads, and have tested them under a black light and they do glow (albeit not dramatically like white bucktail hair does).

The CS Coatings article linked below says that bass respond to UV light, but as we all know peacocks aren't bass. Hard to imagine trying these would hurt (especially since most epoxy coat a jig head anyway).

http://www.csipaint.com/products/uv-fishing-lure-paint/uv-fishing-lure-paint-faqs.asp

I also saw that Haggerty lures are offering jig heads with UV coating options.
this idea is a bit of a bust 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
at least with the UV epoxy. I tried a jig with the UV epoxy under a black light and although it did glow, it didn't glow nearly as much as I expected. Also, the clear coating started to peel off after some decently rough casting in the local pond ... I tried to mimic amazon situation, by hitting trees with the jig and dragging it through cover, etc.

However, I did get the CS UV powder paint, which comes as a white powder, but when heated creates a hard clear coating. Under a black light those lure heads glowed dramatically, like the color white does.

This is also an interesting option when considering jigs with a silver or natural lead color for the head. On a different thread, some were saying that an unpainted head is the best color ... at least this UV option can keep that natural color but possibly add a slight advantage (if peacocks respond to UV light).

-Art

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
Not sure about uv coats, but on my last trip a buddy of mine had two lures that the bodies were made out of some type of glow in the dark material. The kind that if you shine a flash light on them they glow like a glow stick. We were catfishing one night and while we were waiting for the catfish we were throwing those lures. We caught all kinds of different fish on them that night. I had never seen these type of lures before. We had know idea that we were actually going to catch fish on them, so we never tied a leader on them. Eventually the piranha and other tooth critters cut them off and our fun was done. If they have some type of glow in the dark paint that you can put on a lure that would be a blast at night.
Sean

UV coating ... anyone ever try on Peacocks? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle