PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » OOOOH ... 2011 Shimano Scorpion DC7 Baitcater
OOOOH ... 2011 Shimano Scorpion DC7 Baitcater 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Now, before I go into this, price is a concern, but it is a "reasonable" price when considering other Digital Control options out there. For instance the Shimano Calais DC goes for $649.99, where the new Scorpion DC7 goes for between $339.99 and $359.99 on EBAY ... so those in the market for a true Digitally Controlled baitcaster, that might be cheap :)

Few things to note before I go into specs. First off, this reel is not locally available in US and I have only seen options to purchase in Japan and ship to the US on EBay (but you can at least get one). Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300561058607&si=AFRRXen2TU6dSEJerdqRJkDTITE%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_5318wt_1135

Second, it took me a few numerical conversions to get the specs translated (I think I did them correctly, but keep that in mind).

Here are the general specs:
Weight - 7.23 Oz
Drag - 10 lbs
Gear Ratio - 7.0:1 (for the DC7 Model ... there is a slower DC model)
Inches per Turn - 29.5 in.
Hands - Both Right and Left hand models are available
Line Capacity for Mono:
12 lb = 142 yards
14 lb = 120 yards
16 lb = 109 yards (16 lb mono equivalent to 65 lb PowerPro)
20 lb = 87 yards (20 lb mono equivalent to 100 lb PowerPro)
So the specs seem very similar to the Shimano Currado 200 (if not for a bit more line capacity)

Now for those not familiar with what digital control is for ... it is a self powered (charged by the act of casting) automatic spool breaking system. The Scorpion DC7 has simplified DC settings that allow you to chose from 3 line type options (mono, fluorocarbon, and braided line). In comparison you can have numerous more customization if you went with the $650 Calais DC. In summary, a DC break should allow one to maximize casting distance and minimize backlashes ... especially safeguarding during an erratic cast (i.e. when sight casting short, over-powering a cast w/o thumbing enough, etc.).

Seems like this one could be a winner if price is no object. However, I have found zero reviews on the reel as of yet.

-Art
Re: OOOOH ... 2011 Shimano Scorpion DC7 Baitcaster 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Art Weston wrote:
Now, before I go into this, price is a concern, but it is a "reasonable" price when considering other Digital Control options out there. For instance the Shimano Calais DC goes for $649.99, where the new Scorpion DC7 goes for between $339.99 and $359.99 on EBAY ... so those in the market for a true Digitally Controlled baitcaster, that might be cheap :)

Few things to note before I go into specs. First off, this reel is not locally available in US and I have only seen options to purchase in Japan and ship to the US on EBay (but you can at least get one). Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=300561058607&si=AFRRXen2TU6dSEJerdqRJkDTITE%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_5318wt_1135

Second, it took me a few numerical conversions to get the specs translated (I think I did them correctly, but keep that in mind).

Here are the general specs:
Weight - 7.23 Oz
Drag - 10 lbs
Gear Ratio - 7.0:1 (for the DC7 Model ... there is a slower DC model)
Inches per Turn - 29.5 in.
Hands - Both Right and Left hand models are available
Line Capacity for Mono:
12 lb = 142 yards
14 lb = 120 yards
16 lb = 109 yards (16 lb mono equivalent to 65 lb PowerPro)
20 lb = 87 yards (20 lb mono equivalent to 100 lb PowerPro)
So the specs seem very similar to the Shimano Currado 200 (if not for a bit more line capacity)

Now for those not familiar with what digital control is for ... it is a self powered (charged by the act of casting) automatic spool breaking system. The Scorpion DC7 has simplified DC settings that allow you to chose from 3 line type options (mono, fluorocarbon, and braided line). In comparison you can have numerous more customization if you went with the $650 Calais DC. In summary, a DC break should allow one to maximize casting distance and minimize backlashes ... especially safeguarding during an erratic cast (i.e. when sight casting short, over-powering a cast w/o thumbing enough, etc.).

Seems like this one could be a winner if price is no object. However, I have found zero reviews on the reel as of yet.

-Art

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Jim Wright
Art,
I live very close to Shimano in Irvine. I take my saltwater reels in for service on a regular basis. I have asked in the past about service on non US reels (those sold in Japan or Asia only). The answer is ...yes they can be serviced...in Japan! Turn around can be six months. Long story short they said to buy in the US.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
I emailed Shimano USA and asked about if they would service the reel locally ... here was the response:

"We can service the reel but we do not stock parts for this model. Some parts interchange and several do not."
there is a video up with this reel in action ... 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IfjEvyUXwg

I don't speak Japanese, but check out 0:44 seconds into the video to see the digital break in action ...
wrong break 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
sorry, of course I meant to spell "break", "brake" ...
OOOOH ... 2011 Shimano Scorpion DC7 Baitcater 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle