PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Anyone ever make their own peacock jigs?
Anyone ever make their own peacock jigs? 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
Our hostess on our trip this year tied up jigs each night. I watched her and after asking a few questions, it seems like it might be fun to put my own twist on it.

One of the things she commented on was that she thought 4/0 hooks were too small (but that is what she had to work with) ... I showed her my 5/0 verisons from Caribe, which had a longer extended tail ... she thought their tails were too long and they lacked the rattle.

Anyway, here are a few questions I had for the group:
1. Colors ... anyone have any infomation on the typical bait the peacocks eat? The red(top)/yellow(bottom) color set-up from most jig providors seems the be champion ... but what is a bit odd ... is why is the red not on the bottom? Seems like all the other lures that work well have the red or orange belly. I also heard that blue is good in clear water ... but not sure why.

2. Materials. Seems like the concensus is the use of buck tails, and some form of trailer tail (or even a trailing hook). What I was thinking of was potentially using tieable leader material (Tyger brand) that I found effective in saltwater settings as the tail base vs. mono leader material. That way it might resist bite offs from our teethly little friends.

3. Hooks. Here is where it gets interesting. Between Owner, Mustad, Gamakatsu, etc. there are a lot of options. My intersted in a strong hook of course that can work in a jig head mold. Size seems to be my biggest open item ... I think you can use 4/0, 5/0 ... and even up to 7/0 or 8/0 hooks (lure parts online sells a 8/0 peacock bass jig head). I am wondering if I should have multiple sizes for different fishing conditions ... like if it is slow due to high water, switching down to a smaller size to get more bites. Lastly, I am not certain about the hook angles that work best ... most seem to use the 90 degree ones.

4. Jig head types and molds. Since we want fast moving jigs, bullets, minnow heads, darters, etc. seem to be the right choice, but please let me know otherwise (I think we should avoid football, or any other bottom bouncers). Next is weedless options .. they are available, but I have not seen anyone reccomend them for peacock. I know I was in the trees a bit this last trip and the weedless options might help with that, but I don't want to diminsh a chance of a hook-up either.

5. Weight. So most offerings are 1/2 ounce ... but what are peoples thoughts on 3/4 or up to 1 ounce? I had a fast retrieve on my jigs, and at times they were running a bit too shallow (as the jig neared the boat) ... either I need to slow down or have a bit more weight. Also, casting distance is or course impacted by the jig weight.

6. Molds ... I think I need to settle on hook choices and wether or not they will fit most molds available ... I will likely have to call the manufacturers to confirm options ... but if someone else knows what works, please let me know.

I am looking forward to having fun with this! Happy to do more research on topics that people suggest. Thanks!

-Art
Anyone ever make their own peacock jigs? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle