PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Casting Reels
Casting Reels 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
So I'm going to replace a reel I've been using for the last several years before my next trip. This would be the reel I would use for working the surface prop baits. Although I'm pretty much settled on Abu Garcia or Shimano, I'm having a hard time finding the right combination of attributes so I pose these questions to the 'experts':
1) Is there a big difference between 7:1 and 6.4:1 or about 2" of line per crank?
2) Would you sacrifice speed for added drag power?
3) How much line capacity is optimal assuming a high quality 60 lb braid?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Rick,

Here are my 2 cents:

The Shimano Curado 200E7 and 200DHSV are both great reels that do an excellent job on topwater plugs. Both have 7.0:1 gear ratios and hold 110 yds of 14 pound test mono line (which is what I consider a minimum capacity for a good peacock reel. The E7 is the newest version and is much lighter than the DHSV. Pflueger makes a Patriarch which is also a 7.1:1 gear ratio baitcaster that holds up to 130 yds of 14 pound test mono and it is very good for working the tailspinner topwater baits. That said, here are my thoughts to your questions:

1. Reel Speed - I think anything over 6.0:1 is fast enough for most experienced anglers. I used a 5.3:1 for years when chunking Woodchoppers and never had any speed problems. A very experienced angler should be able to retrieve a lure faster than an inexperienced one with a higher speed reel. Power and subsequently fish control suffers some as you increase speed (higher gear ratios).

2. See above.

3. My 65 pound test Power Pro is rated a 16 lb. mono line equivalent size and my minimum line capacity is stated above in the intro. Most good quality baitcasting reels have published stats showing their ratings for 12 and/or 14 pound test mono.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Rick,

I agree with Larry that you don't need a 7.0 or 7.1 gear ration to adequately work surface propeller baits. The difference in handle speed is not that much between, say a 6.1 and 7.0 gear ratio. While I am not an experienced peacock angler, I have experimented using casting reels of various gear ratios with the large lures and I have no problem quickly working the lures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Rick,

I accidently hit the return button, so I didn't finish my post....

I recently purchased an Abu-Garcia Toro 50 HS for topwater baits. It has a 6.4:1 gear ration, holds plenty of line and has a 22lb drag. I really like the feel of the reel and it's lightweight with a full aluminum alloy body. I haven't had a chance to use it in the Amazon, but I think it will be great. Check it out!

I also have a Shimano Curado E7 and I think it has the minimum line capacity I would feel comfortable using 80# Power Pro braid with. I use it with 65# Power Pro for subsurface baits and it's great. Everyone loves the Shimano 200 DHSV, but I haven't used one.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:05 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
2Rick,

Just about any reel will "work", but there are attributes of certain reels that make woodchopper fishing a lot easier.

I started out with Shimano Calcuttas with a gear change to bring them to 6:1. Worked great. But then the Curado 200DHSV came out in 7:1 and I took one down to try. I couldn't believe how much easier it made working the chopper for me. The biggest thing is that I wasn't so worn out at the end of the day and didn't get the blisters on my fingers and thumb like I did before (I hate fishing with gloves). It was easier to take up the slack line between pulls on the chopper. The downside was that it barely held enough 80# line. I tend to make very long casts and could cast it down to the knot on occasion. This was not a problem until I either broke off some line, got a backlash and had to cut some off, or even changed lures often during the day. Then I would find myself with not quite enough line to make the casts I wanted.

I picked up one of the new Shimano 300EJ's about 3 months ago and have been using it here on the lake for bass and I fell in love with it. It holds enough line for me now, and has a 6:9 ratio which in line return per crank is equal to the 7:1 smaller reels. It has a handle with a single "very large" knob that I wasn't sure I would like at first (can be changed to a standard handle if needed), but actually love it now. The whole reel when held side by side with my 200DSHV's cannot be told apart in relation to size. I think it just has a deeper spool.

You have to look in the saltwater section of BPS or Cabelas to see it, as it's not in the listing with the rest of the Shimano casting reels.

For the average fisherman, the 200 E7 which Larry mentioned actually is a very good reel for peacocks, and has more applications here at home for domestic species, so you may get more use out of it in the long run.

My opinion is the 300EJ is the ultimate peacock reel. I think once you fish one you'd have to agree. JMHO

Dink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Rick,

As Dink alluded to, you can't assume a lower gear ratio is a "slower" reel because larger reels have larger spools. For instance, the Abu Garcia Toro 50 HS retrieves 30.9" of line per retrieve vs. the Shimano 200 E7's 30". Larger spools bring in more line per handle turn. I don't know if the companies rate their reels at full line capacity or perhaps half capacity???

Dan
Casting Reels 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
John Cross
If you like the single handle option that Dink mentioned on the new curado, the Abu Revo Toros also come with two handles in the box - a one knob power handle in addtion to the the traditonal two knob handle.

Like Dan I haven't yet tried my REVO 51 and REVO 51HS in the Amazon but I have used them very extensively casting, jigging, and trolling for trophy lake trout and northern pike. I have had no problem using large lures at high speeds with either of these ABU models but I am going to have to wait a few months for the ice to go off the lakes here before I can start trying my new prop baits.

John
CHECK OUT THE NEW OKUMA SERRANO 200 LOW-PROFILE REEL !!! 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Andres Jara
Rick :

- I was very impressed with this new Okuma Serrano 200 little jewel. This new reel is without a doubt the finest Low-Profile Baitcaster Okuma has ever made. In fact, so good that i got myself one and tested on Peacocks up to 16 lbs in Colombia and was very impressed by its performance. i have used Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, and other fine & very expensive reels, since i work in the Fishing Tackle Industry and I have access to anything i want. The Okuma Serrano-200 retails at 169.00 us$ so it won't break your wallet and it that price range beats comparable daiwa & shimano reels easily.
- What initially impressed me was how compact it was, much more compact than shimano curado E7 reel, with a gear ratio of 6.2 and a slightly bigger spool than shimano curado E7, it should pick at least 28 inches and not the alleged 26 inches ( typo error ) . Also, the spool is deep and holds more line than most small daiwa & shimano reels, drag is exceptionally smooth drag, and a very tight construction. Okuma uses High Density gearing, since reel was originally designed for light saltwater fishing, and it meshes extremely smooth and tight under tension from big topwater lures or minnow type plugs !!!! Okuma might not have the media hype of Shimano and other brands, but watch out for this little green jewel of a reel, it will Tango with the best !!!! in fact, i will have Larry Larsen test it when he comes to fish the Bita River in Beautiful Colombia.
- Check www.OkumaFishing.com , i think they even have a 30 US$ rebate promotion going on !!!! check it out, it is a beauty !!!!!! if you want to call me go right ahead ( 407 ) 574-8620. Good Luck !! Tight Lines!!

ANDRES JARA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Thanks everyone for the input. One thing I failed to mention is that I use a left handed reel (even though I am right handed - it's a long story). That does occasionally limit my choices, but not too much.

I'm actually leaning toward the Abu inshore version of the Revo. It has a nice blend of speed (6.4:1), line capacity and drag power (24 lb) and yet it still only weighs in at a little over 8 ounces. I'm not rushing out to buy anything just yet. I smell a sale sometime in the next couple months.

Andres - I don't know much about Okuma equipment so I'll be interested to hear about it from Larry as well as his Colombian fishing trip experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Rick,

If you can live with a little less line capacity, check out the Revo STX HS, I have two of them and they're great. They have 7.1:1 ratios that pick up 31 inches per handle turn and a 12/145 line capacity. I have two of them, they're good for the subsurface lures and spooks. I spool mine with 50lb Power Pro for spooks and 65lb for jerk baits. For the large propeller baits, I have the Toro 50 HS.

In my opinion, the Revo Inshore is a compromise between speed and line capacity, when used for peacocks.

Dan
Casting Reels 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle