PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » New lures / First timer
New lures / First timer 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Keith Edleman
I am in Sao Paulo for a couple weeks and made a stop at a fishing equipment store called Pesce Pinheiros. Huge store with a large selection and very helpful staff (a couple speaking english).

I had read on the Forum that someone had good success with Deconto Birutss so picked up a couple of them. The staff there strongly recommended Zagaia Lures Prima Gold which is a 4.5" twitch bait that will go to about 10" deep. They had good success near Barcelos when the High Rollers, etc. weren't working. Anyone have any thoughts about either of these lures??

I will be making my first Peacock Bass trip on the Captain Peacock in mid-November and would appreciate any comments, recommendations, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Keith,

The Biruta is an excellent producer. Last season when the water was so low and we could not get into the tributaries off the Rio Negro, the topwater bite was non existent. The Biruta though, caught fish all day. I actually picked up bigger fish with it than the jig, although the jig would get more action.

To look at it, it doesn't look like much, and it was hard for me to get my mind right to use it. But, yes, it will catch the fire out of them.

Dink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
AndrewTaylor
Another local lure that I like is called the "Perversa". It is small in my estimation, but just catches fish like crazy. It is about 3-4" long, kind of a lipless, elongated rattle trap type bait, except doesn't sink more than about 2'. Action under the water is extremely irratic, often surfacing and then diving again. Peacock just love it. It swims like it isn't quite tuned properly, but that seems to be it's forte'. Looks like an injured, dazed baitfish. I just wish they made a 6" version...

New lures / First timer 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle