PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Curado 300EJ Reel
Curado 300EJ Reel 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
After I read the Ezine, I immediately ordered one of the new Curado 300EJ's. This is the reel I've been wanting somebody to make for peacock fishing for a while. Even though the ratio is only 6.9:1, it actually takes up 2" more line than the 7:1 200's. I assume this is due to spool diameter and being able to hold more line. Finally will be able to break off 10' of line and not have to respool to keep fishing.

Will review it here when it arrives.

Dink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Dink,

As you know Shiomano listens to the fisherman better than most other reel and rod makers. That's why their reels are fantastic for peacock bass anglers who demand the quality and performance needed to combat the world's most exciting fish. The 6.9:1 is still very fast and I have always felt that an experienced angler with plenty of "appropriate" experience with a specific reel, regardless of its speed, can keep up with 99% of those anglers with a higher speed reel in their hands.

Our long-time supporting member Shimano will be happy with your choice, I'm sure. We will look forward to your report.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Larry,

I agree, you can fish the woodchoppers with a good reel, even the slower ratios. What I've found though, is that I can work it the way I like with a lot less work on my part with the high speed reels. I started out fishing woodchoppers with a 5:1 Calcutta with just as much success. But the first time I fished a 7:1 Curado, I felt so much better at the end of the day. The only reason I recommend the high speed reels is for this specific reason. I'm one of those guys who tries too hard to get my moneys worth out of a trip, so I fish hard all day long with hardly a break. I fish through lunch when I have a partner that will agree to it. As a result, I'm totally washed out by the time we return to camp. Anything I can do to "ease the pain" I try to do.......... Wink

Dink
Conserve Energy 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
I agree with that. Some 15 years ago, I fished the big woodchoppers 10 hours a day every day with (round) Abu-Garcia Morrum (5.3:1) reels due to their great drags, quality durability and power. Now that I'm a "senior" I like to toss the slightly lighter topwaters only about 80% of the time ... only on quality 6:1 or 7:1 ratio (low profile) reels. I definitely have to conserve my energy these days. Yeah, I'll even toss a few jigs to minimize my effort and save some strenuous effort, particularly early in the mornings when the teeners are still sleepy. Laughing :-) :-D

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Dink,

I purchased a Curado 300E earlier this year and it mates very well to your 6'2" "Woodchopper" rod. It has a 6.1 gear ratio, slightly slower than the newer model, but it probably takes up as much line as the Curado 200 7:1. I feel the Curado 200E just doesn't hold enough 80# braided line, I feel much more confident using the 300E.

Larry, I also have a few ABU Ambassadeur Morrums, and they arey are built like tanks! I'll probably bring one down to the Amazon for Zara Spooks, but I couldn't imagine myself using one on topwater all day!

Take Care,

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
I received my new 300EJ last week and took it out on the lake this weekend to see how it felt. Other than the huge handle, it is no different than the other curados. Actually a much smaller frame than I thought it would be. The big knobbed handle felt very awkward when I started fishing it. My immediate reaction was that it would have to be swapped. But as I fished it, after 30 minutes or so I became accustomed to it and actually began to like it. I think it's going to be a good cure for the blisters and sore wrists I get when I fish a lot of woodchoppers.

I actually measured the frame width and the spool width and found both to only ten thousandths wider than a 200D. The 300's are still using the 200D frame style. Basically the only obvious difference between the 200D and the 300E is the spool diameter.

I would highly recommend the 300EJ as a peacock reel. If you can't become comfortable the with large handle, Bass Pro's handles are the same length, so basically a $5.00 change out.

Couple this reel with a custom Goldrush 3pc. Peacock travel rod and you're set to go.......... Laughing

Dink
Curado 300EJ Reel 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle