PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Replacing Hooks
Hook Um Up 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Dave,

A 2/0 3X or 4X treble hook is perfect for most diving plugs that are 3 1/2 inches long up to about 6 1/2 inches in length. They will do fine for the topwater walking baits that are 4 or 5 inches long, but you might want to consider a 3/0 3X or 4X if you are replacing 3 regular small hooks with two larger ones which is recommended. For 5 1/2 inch topwaters, go with the 3/0 extra strength hook and for a 6 1/2 inch topwater or longer, I generally want a 4/0 4X or 6X treble. Of course, that assumes that you are fishing for "teeners" or those monsters over 20 pounds and the waters you will be fishing has them. In a few areas of the Basin where the maximun peacock may only be 14 pounds, you might "get by" with slightly smaller hooks. Finally, it is more important to have super strong and slightly larger hooks on topwater baits than on diving baits.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I change all my peacock and dorado lure split rings and replace with Wolverine triple coil spilt rings. By far the strongest split rings in the market. Also I prefer Owner hooks 4x stong. 8)
Good fishing, Bob Daly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Dave,

You may have to play with the arrangement a little to get them to work the way you want. On the spooks and yozuri's, I've found if I go with the super split rings that Bob was talking about and the 3X hooks, they are too heavy to get the right action. You may have to use a lighter split ring if you are using the heaviest hooks, or vice versa. I can't remember the designations on the split rings I use right now, but I think their rated at about 100#'s. The big triple coil rings Bob mentions I think you can pull a freight train with. They're more suitable to the woodchoppers and high rollers I would think. Bottom line, you pretty much have to tinker with each lure to get it just right before you leave to head down. I have 2X, 3X, and 4X hooks in 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0 all mixed up on my plugs to get them to sit right and work right. I've found each lure body is just a little different and you can't just arbitrarily say I'm going to use the biggest split rings and the sturdiest hooks on each one and have them work. JMHO.

Dink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
You know, I haven't seen a wood spook in a long time except for the 7" and 8" ones. I'm not totally sure they still make them. All mine are plastic. Anyway, for whatever reason, they all tend to float just a little different and I basically hand tune each one with whatever size split ring and hook it takes to make it walk the way I like. Generally though, if it ain't working right, the guide will work on it for you to make it do it's thing, so I would keep that in mind. Listen closely to your guides and trust them to keep your lures right. Don't be afraid to say something to them if you feel your lure isn't right. Most of them are pretty good at tuning them.

Dink

Dink
Plug Perfection 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
There is a small article in this month's "Field and Steam" regarding perfecting plugs such as spooks. The author recommends removing all trebles except for the one at the front. Then use a split ring to replace the rear hook with a spinnerbait blade. Leave any other hook hangers empty.

Anybody ever try this?

Good fishing, Bob Daly Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
I haven't done that on a spook, but I have used a small willow or colorado blade in place of the back hook on a Rattle Trap. Honestly, I can't say it works any better, but i have caught fish with it.

For the Spooks, if I'm swapping out rear hooks I loke to put a feathered treble. Just a little more attraction. That's my theory anyway and I'm stickin' with it...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
The hooks that Steve mentioned, Owner Stinger Hooks are my choice for all my lures but you can't go by the size you would normally use when replacing them. They are much bigger than any other hook on the market and with out a doubt the strongest. If you where going to a 4/0 you would probably use a 2/0 in the Stinger. I changed all my Yo Zuri and Spook hooks to a small Stinger and all the guides wanted some, they loved the strength. I will say this, don't buy any 4/0 Stingers they are too big, 3/0 is as large as I would use. Just always do the float test. Bobby Foster
Im doing that now 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Rick Swain
Dave, I'm addicted to the VMC 6x red trebles, I just ordered 3 boxes through Cabelas. I no longer use 4/0 anymore but for all my topwater rippers I use 3/0, most of my mid size baits I use 2/0 and my smaller walking baits and jerkbaits I use 1/0. For the price of about 15.00 per box of 25 I'll never buy those high dollar Gami's and owners again, they're plenty sharp and in the last 4 trips haven't lost 1 fish yet to a bent hook. I use the spro split rings or the joe bucher split rings, haven't stretched one of those out either and have caught my share of 20 lbers. K-lures has a rattlin hot dog thats wood with great colors that I'm dying to try out, those hooks definatly need to be upgraded to the 6x. always play with differant hook sizes on the baits for the action you desire, I used to think on the chopper style baits you wanted almost a 0 balance in the water for front to back but thats not the case, you definatly want the back to drop down after the rip and not to try and slide across the water. when its resting in the water the back should be a couple of inches lower than the front. I'm not here to plug companys but my october trip I pounded big fish on the 6.5" high rollers, best colors for me have been black and orange but this trip I caught 3 20's in one afternoon on the halloween color ( brilliant red ) I about cried when a big head shaking fish bend the whole shaft at the back and split the wood, damn....I only had 1 in that color but the clown worked good after that. Also on the high rollars if you play with the props you can get a great high pitch rip that takes very little effort to rip, it's awesome when you get your confidence working just right. Shaw grisby taught me the prop trick but still cant quite get the sound he had, guess thats we he's the pro, LOL. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
AndrewTaylor
Rule of thumb for me is the biggest/strongest hook I can get on the bait and still get the desired action. Unfortunately, this takes some time and tinkering. Best solution is to go fishing with your peacock stuff before you head down. Using a snap for quick lure changes, go through your lures and load each with the best combination of split rings and trebles. Start testing and before long you have the best set-up for the lure in question. I have a box full of split rings and trebles (sizes 2 all the way up to 3/0) and a good pair of split ring pliers (blue handled Xurons). You usually can eye-ball the correct split ring for each hook. The 2 types of split rings I use are the 3X (wolverine), but these only fit on larger lures, and the 2X regular split rings that can handle peacock. The sizes I use are 4, 5 and 6. The size 6 from LurePartsOnline.com tests at 150lb. For hooks it is very hard to beat the 6X VMC "Gladiator" trebles that not only are brutally strong (never seen one open or bend) but also "cone cut" - VERY sharp right out of the box.

Replacing Hooks 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle