PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions » water levels-cancellations
water levels-cancellations 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
neal m brown
i noticed that river plate has not posted there weekly fishing reports for over 2 weeks now, and the last report was for only a couple of days and water levels were a big problem in some areas and getting worse in others. the report posted on the forum this week seemed to suggest that things were dicey as well. i asked our outfitter for an update but recieved little more than a disappointing general propoganda piece extolling the virtues and acknowledging the uncertainties,bla,bla, bla.
i'm scheduled to go to the xeruini on jan 8. it's up near the itapara and the agua boa. does anyone have any info on water levels and/or cancellations for that area as of yet?
thanks,
neal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Neal,

I ran into Alan Zaremba at the airport in Manaus last week and he and his two groups (Browns) were very happy with their success. A friend of mine, Ron Smith, caught a 26 and I believe two more 20 or better himself. They indicated to me that while low, the levels did not affect their trip at all. With his barges already in the rivers, he has an advantage over the boats right now. It's generally the mouth of the rivers that are impassable. Once into the tributaries of the Negro, it's still pretty good fishing. Lagoon fishing is pretty much done until the water rises though.

I can't remember the area they told me they were fishing, and I have not heard anything about the Xeriuni or that area.

Dink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I talked with Itapara Lodge owner, Milton Cardille, 3 days ago. He says the lagoons near his lodge are fishable with the best fishing had in years. Cool
I am heading to Itapara Jan 25th, so lots of time yet hopefully for the annual Xmas rains to come.

Good fishing Bob Daly
Update 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Those anglers returning 7 days ago from the Amazon that I heard from paint a pretty bleak picture of future fishing opportunities due to the extremely low water. However, I spoke with four outfitters (PBA Supporting Members) this week that are not overly concerned about Jan. yet. Some state the waters they are fishing aren't affected and are slowly rising and one said his people had seen a 3-foot rise. All claim their yachts/mobile camps draft very little and can move above fairly easily, ("unlike their competition"). Some of the responses might be a little optimisitic.

Most of the mothership operations have relocated to Manaus for a couple of weeks and then will head back upstream on the Negro. I don't know of anyone fishing this coming week or the week after. There has been a good amount of rain lately in Manaus and along the Rio Negro, but it has been spotty I'm told. Some tributaries are rising a little while others are still stable. I understand most have stopped falling. Those anglers traveling in Jan. should still pray for rain on the watershed of their choice, in my opinion. Confused

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
From what I could tell, another 5 feet in the Negro would make the entrances to the tributaries passable again to the motherships. We all know how fast that can happen. Something tells me this could be one of the best Jan-Feb's in quite a while.

Dink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
neal m brown
thanks guys, lets all hope that dink's predictions go from his mouth to g-d's ears.
water levels-cancellations 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions