PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Destinations & Habitats » Lake Huites, Mexico
Lake Huites, Mexico 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
I am heading down to Lake Huites with a group in late October to the first week of November. I was wondering if any of you have fished this lake during this time span. Any info on lures and numbers of fish would be appreciated. Thanks,

Bobby Foster
The Hottest Lure on Huites 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Hi Bobby,

I was there in May of 2006 and believe that my top lure type then would also be great in late October. May partner caught over 100 per day (and could have 100 more if we didn't chase the lunkers) mostly on the Wacky worm rig or belly-hooked worm.

There are four worms that I would use on a return trip and they are the Mann's 5" Hard Nose Freefall Worm, the Mann's 6" Hard Nose Psycho Worm, Fishbites 5" Xtreme Release (XR) Fatty Jr Worm, and finally a new one I discovered recently, the El Grande Custom-Poured 6 1/2" Grande Worms (www.elgrandelures.com) which are made by longtime PBA member Jay Schurz. Jay's worms are similar in design to the others which are all tailless, only they are a little longer, fatter and heavier (for ease of casting). I think they will produce the biggest bass for you.

When you belly-hook these worms, you don't want a swimming tail or any self action-type tail because it will cause line twist and not have the right actioin. Fish them all very slowly in a twitch, pause, twitch and it will drive the Huites bass mad. I have 6 or 8 strikes and fish in a row several times each day. I like chartreuse or red or green colors, but that is not as important. Pumpkinseed works fine also.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Good advice from Larry on the worms. I've had similar luck twice at El Salto. I assume when he says 'belly hook' he means wacky style. If you don't so this already, size your worms to o-rings. Simply slip the o-ring over the worm to the center and slide the hook under the o-ring. You can catch quite few bass on one worm this way versus potentially losing a worm per each bass. Big luggage weight and cost advantage, plus you won't burn through the most popular color too quickly.

A good web site to purchase o-rings in bulk once you have the right size is www.allorings.com.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Thanks Larry and Rick. The O ring suggestion sounds pretty good. This will be a new fishing adventure for me as I usually fish for the saltwater species when not fishing for Peacock Bass. One more question is how about the use of braided line versus mono. Which would be better for the lake fishing in Mexico. I already have some reels spooled with 50# braid, would this be an over kill. I also have a spool of 30 and 40# test braid that I can use also. Thanks,

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Bobby:

The braid should be just fine although I never really began using as much until I started going to Brazil, and since I started going to Brazil, I haven't been back to Mexico.

So much fishing, so little time (...and money).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Hello Gary,

Good to hear from you, it has been a while. I remember your report now that you mentioned it. From what I have heard it is a first class operation. This maybe my only trip this year since I have to play it a month at a time. I may do a Brazil trip if a last minute cancellation comes up down the road and my levels are low enough. They have been low and holding steady for the last six months. The drugs are working pretty good on the cancer cells and the side effects are minimal. Hope all is good for you so take care.

Bobby Foster
Hotel In Los Mochis 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Rick,

The Hotel was The Hotel Santa Anita. Let David book it for you as he gets a good rate. Paying with my credit card the exchange rate price for single occupancy was $60 American.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
OK - my on again, off again trip to Huites is back on. Anyone fish there in late April? I'm headed down on the 21st. I'm expecting a post spawn bite, hotter weather and a little deeper to find the biggest ones, but beyond that I could use any advice out there.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Here's a quick fishing report on Lake Huites for April 21-25. Travel was OK except the 3.5 hour bus ride to Lake Huites Lodge, half in the dark, leaves much to be desired. The last hour is what they call a gravel road. That actually would be an insult to gravel roads everywhere. It's a cabrito trail that the van can only go 10-20 kilometers/hr. It's literally the proverbial 10 miles of bad road. Enough of that.

The fishing was very good. Numbers of bass were anywhere from 50-200 fish per day. Many quality fish in the 2-5 lb range. Bigger fish were more scarce. The largest at the lodge that week was 9.5 lbs, but only half a dozen more caught over 7-8 lbs among 7 angelers. The stories are true, many canyons hold large schools where 10 casts in a row net 10 solid fish. Top water was good in the mornings and evenings. Deeper cranks, plastics and spinner baits were better in the middle of the day.

The lodge is good, but not up to Angler's Inn (El Salto) standards as a reference point. The bar and menu are much more limited. But all-in-all the staff does a terrific job for such a remote operation. Manuel, Tachi and our guide Ocerio (Tino) were all top notch.

If you're looking for constant action and spectacular scenery, not caring about trophies, then Lake Huites Lodge is terrific. If you're looking for better accommodations and bigger fish, try Baccarac or El Salto.
Report on Huites 
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
Jay Schurz
Sounds like you had a good time. Would love to see some good pics.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Jay:

I'm not too good at loading pictures, but I can tell you that one of the best plastic lures for the week was the Tilapia Pepper Stick.

I caught several good fish in a row, the guide looked the bait and said, Hmmmm....good color. It was indeed. I went thru three bags even with the Mend It product.

I wasn't the first El Grande customer at the lodge though. I saw some left over packages being resold (I'm guessing) at the lodge store of El Grande products.

Cheers
Lake Huites, Mexico 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Destinations & Habitats