PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » What Do I need to Bring?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Dave:

Here's a bit of input. You won't need a Boga Grip. The guides have them so save the weight. Line should be braid 50-80 lb - Power Pro, Tuff Line or such. Get a high speed, higher capacity reel 7:1 or so to work the prop baits. Pick up some slimmer models of prop baits (High Rollers, Woodchooper slims, Caribe's, etc). They won't wear you out so much. If you can afford to do it, bring all pack rods. Decent models (unless you can affors Loomis) are made by Browning or Quantum (Ocean Master line). Consider one spinning outfit for jigs or smaller plugs.

The two things I suggest you bring that I learned from experience - sunscreen for your lips and tapeless wrap for finger blisters (works so much better than band aids for blisters and stays on even wet).

Hope this helps.
Good Mix 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Dave,

I think that you have a good mix. Be sure to also have 4-6 Yozuris with beefed up hooks.

And remember that Steve's middle name is "JIGGY". He lives to fish the jig. Also heard him and his camerman John dancing the jig late one night a couple of weeks ago outside my tent on Brazil's Rio Travessao. Laughing Laughing

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Dave,
I never liked tackle boxes so I always used a large worm bag for my top waters and a smaller one for my sub surface lures and jigs. You would be surprised how many of the large top waters you can get in one of those bags. I got mine at Bass Pro Shops seven years ago and some of my peacock bass buddies switched to them after seeing how easy they pack and the amount of lures you could carry using them. Good luck.

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Dave:

Skip the tackle box. Use a bag for your carry on, carry on your reels, camera, medicine, reading material and other stuff you need to keep close. Put all your tackle into Plano plastic boxes (370's - 2-3) and pack those into your checked luggage. When you get to where you're going, unpack the non-fishing stuff from the carry-on and that becomes your tackle bag for the week. I use a Plfueger bag that came with one of my reels. It's lightweight and the boxes fit just fine.

Also, one more tip. Bring a small black Sharpie. The braid tends to lose it's color over time almost turning white. You can run your line against the Sharpie and restore the color. I watched one of our guides take apart a C battery with his machete to get to the black lead inside to accomplish the same thing (these guys can do anything with a machete BTW), but the Sharpie is a lot easier.
What Do I need to Bring? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle