PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions » The Best Water Conditions and Fishing Season?
The Best Water Conditions and Fishing Season? 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
The last five years have varied in terms of water conditions and weather. As a result fishing conditions have varied as well. We'd like to hear from all PBA members as to their choice of the best peacock season (described as Sept. to April) in the past several years. What was your favorite?

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Jan '07 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
My best year as far as peacock fishing is concerned was on the pasomoni river in the big V. Our group that year slayed them. As long as you had a lure with orange on it.
Steve Cihat and Tony Smith make their own lures. The peacocks just loved them. Sadly Steve only makes them for his pleasure now.

The Pasomoni is a long haul to get too. I mean for just being across the pond. You need to overnight in Caracus and spend the next whole day traveling to the river by car, plane, and boat. But what a cool place. If you hit the water levels right it is at the top as far as I am concerned for big fish.
Sean

Steve and Tony 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Ron Thompson
Sean , I met Steve and Tony at the Pasomoni last month , great guys to spend a week with . Im going to Texas next month to fish largies and might take some time to meet Tony for a Crown and Coke :D Sounds like our group was the only one that got any decant fishing on the Pasomoni this season . Your right about the orange , I fished the halloween all nine days . This was my first trip for peacocks , cant wait to get back . I loved the Pasomoni lodge , just a little hesatant about the unpredictable conditions . I think only three groups made it in this whole season and all three had high water. I may be mistaken though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
I have fished from October to January the last five years and the best trip I had was in mid October on the Unini. The water was great and the larger teeners were plentiful. Seems the water levels are changing to where October and November are the prime months in certain areas. January used to be the target month for the upper Rio Negro but not lately.

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Bobby pretty much took the words out of my mouth......

I was on the Unini two years ago in late Sept. and last year the first week of Oct. It's hard to imagine the fishing being much better. I also fished it the first week of Dec. and although good, wasn't as great as it was earlier on. The water was much lower in Dec. but the fishing was actually better earlier on I think.

Don Cutter mentioned to me that he thought the bigger fish were the first ones out of the jungle when the water dropped to a certain point, and the fishing seems to bear that out. If you can time it to when the water has dropped to that magic point, there seems to be more big fish hitting than the norm. Maybe the smaller fish are still feeding in the brush. There also seemed to be a lot of big fish spawning and a lot of fryballs during that time. Don't know if there is any correlation.

I'm sure this "magic" point is at a different time of the year on different rivers, but I'm beginning to think that, like Bobby, October is the time to be on the Unini.

Of course, now that I've said that, it will rain like heck in October on the Unini this year as I've signed on for the first week in Oct. Rolling Eyes
The Best Water Conditions and Fishing Season? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions