PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Colors for flies?
Colors for flies? 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Christopher de los Santos
What colors for flies do you all use when fishing for peacock bass? Last March 3-10, I fished the Cuiuni River and used primarily bright, flashy flies. I was told to take some dark (olive brown, and black) flies. The guides at River Plate Outfitters did not have us use any dark flies at all. But, as I am prepping to go in January and February, in the back of my mind is the question, should I take the dark flies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
NBurnell
I have 35 weeks fishing for peacock but most of the time I used plugs. However, I started fly fishing for peacock a couple of years ago and still consider myself a novice. I have several friends that fly fish down there and they are world class fly fisherman. I have been able to learn a lot about the fly fishing and in particular the flies themselves. One gentlemem, Bill Elliott, has been developing large streamers for peacock over the past ten years and I would consider him a real expert. He has help me learn to tie these streamers and what I have picked-up from Bill and others is that the brightly colored flies are best during the bright parts of the day and the darker more suble patterns are better early morning, later in the afternoon and on overcast or rainy days. For the darker patterns I like to use combinations of polar white, light blue, gold or olive and moss green. The streamers are about 5-6 inches long, tied on a 4/0 Gamakatsu SC15-2H hook, using bozo hair. I also use large 3-D holographic eyes in the red or silver colors. These flies are very durable and will flat-out catch peacock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:03 am Reply with quote
neal m brown
i'm heading down in late january for my sixth trip. while i do bring a couple of casting rods, most of the time i'm fly fishing.
i agree with nburnell as to the colors for the various times of day. however, i have 2 caviates. first, i've had the most strikes (any time of day) on a large(@10") baby peacock pattern. second, and most important, i tie my flies much bigger-10"-11". i've had a good deal of luck hooking up with larger fish with the bigger flies.(although landing them consistantly is another matter, the fault being other than the fly).
for larger flies you may want to look at flat wings- ken abrams style(feathers, herl etc- can get a bit heavy holding water) or mush mouths-dave skoks style (synthetics with lots of flash). both are local (new england) striper flies, some of which are tied very large in order to imitatate the local autumn bait. both are very light for their size.
Colors for flies? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle