PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » carry on rods
carry on rods 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
neal m brown
most fly shops as well as cabelas and bass pro sell aluminum tubes suitable for 3 and 4 piece 9' fly rods. i put 3 or 4 of them in a shoulder bag made for 3 or 4 such tubes, and i carry on. i've never had any problem either on tam or any other airline. when i have 6 or 7 rods i use a 4" thin wall pvc pipe in the length of the broken down 3 piece rods,with end fittings (home depot, lowes), and i secure a shoulder strap by clamping the strap with a screw type pipe fastener/clamp- fast, cheap, convenient and it carries on .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Neal,

I guess if I used a large enough carry on bag I might be able to get away with carrying them on by putting them in the bag , but my rod case is just a tad longer than my bag and big enough in diameter to carry four rods. They let me carry the rod case on as a carry on going down, but they always make me check it in Manaus on the trip back. They did it to everyone of us that had rod tubes, even though they were 30" or less in length.

The last trip it was all I was trying to carry on and they wouldn't go for it. It has a shoulder strap and I carry it on my back like a quiver. They let people carry on backpacks three times larger than my rod case........

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Don Cutter
Dink,
I just today returned from Manaus, and again, the inspectors would not permit rod cases to be carried on the plane - all had to be checked regardless of size. Everyone should be prepared to follow this procedure when checking in at the Manaus airport. It does seem to be different in Miami.
Don
carry on rods 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle