PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Different twist on jigs
Different twist on jigs 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
We've all been working hard to get just the right jig with the stinger tails that sometimes we overlook the obvious. On my last trip to the Unini, my partner and I stopped by Bass Pro on the way to the airport and he picked up a couple of bags of worms to take with him. I laughed and wondered what in the world he was up to.

The first day I didn't fish with him, but he easily led the pack in numbers and big fish. The second day, I did fish with him and finally found out what he was doing. He had bought 5 3/4" White Zoom Speed Worms and was putting them on a regular striper jig as a trailer. He killed me with this set up. He caught fish up to 19lbs. that day on it. I finally borrowed one and had similar results. After the first three days he had used up the two bags he had brought with him and had to settle for fishing the stinger jigs. He still did well, but not as many big fish.

My initial thought was that this was just a piranha rig. But he fished it fast and within a couple feet of the surface and rarely had a piranha hit it. At first the guides were trying to get him to put it away, then before long they were reaching into his bag to hand him another worm......:-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Dink: were these the paddle tail style worms or the curly tail style?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:26 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
The Ultra Vibe Speed Worm with the curly tail. I'm not sure if it was the style or the length that made it work so well. I have tried using 2" and 3" spinnerbait trailers before, but did not have the kind of success he did with this worm.

I mentioned in another thread that we had very little action from Piranha's. It may be that at another time, the piranha's would keep it torn up. But for some reason, the piranha's rarely cut up any of the jigs we were throwing, even when we worked them deep. I know piranha's were there as you could see them working in schools near the surface at times, and we also caught a mess for dinner one nite. All the fishermen remarked about how little piranha pressure they had had during the week. I know last year when I was there, if you made a mistake and let your jig slow down and run a little deep, it would be trimmed immediately by a piranha.........
Different twist on jigs 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle