PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions » Water Levels in Jan. 2007
Water Levels in Jan. 2007 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Been kind of quiet on levels, but I know several anglers are down in Brazil as we speak and some will be headed back this weekend. We should start getting some new reports just after that. Any PBA member heard anything from the operators this past week? Let us know.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Ron Morlock
Actually, I spoke to the people from the Rio Negro Lodge on Friday. They reported the water was not high anymore, and that it was sunny and windy (a great combination to lower the water). But that was Friday.
Who knows what it's like now.
Unini River Conditions 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quote
Don Cutter
I returned from Brazil on Monday. Water levels on the Unini River continue to fall, and the fishing continues to improve slowly. From here it looks very favorable for a very good rest of January and it is promising for good fishing in February. As we continue to monitor the water levels we will decide soon about remaining open for fishing in February.
Don
Any Word on Negro Water Levels ? 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Rick Swain
Hello Forum. Just starting to get my gear together today, We'll be headed up to the Negro the 2nd week of February, haven't heard any reports from the Barcelos area, usually there's a lot by now....is this a bad sign ? From what I've read on this board it seems the rivers are all coming down a bit which should be good and the few fishing reports also looks good, Congrats Sean on a wonderful trip, i'ts so much fun when it seems every great looking spot gets you action, that's what great water levels do for ya !!! especially after the high waters last year, hope the fishing holds up for me and my buddy Tony, He's coming back for his 2nd Peacock trip after a tough Jan 2006 trip, He did get a 22.5 last year and I got my new best of 24 but it was hard work, I really want him to have one of those trips that just ruin you for life, ( ruined in a good way, ) Best of luck to all of you headed down in 2007, hope there's many 20's for all of us, Rick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
I have been watching the weather patterns over the northern part of Manaus and it seems to have been pretty dry. Has anyone heard how the waters have been holding up?
Is the fishing year going to end early or last longer than expected?
Sean

Prospects Bright Right Now 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Sean,

I have heard from several operators that the conditions on many tributaries continue to improve and look very promissing for a longer season than normal (through March at least). Some are even drying up. Of course, two weeks of hard rain in a specific watershed can bring it to a halt quickly. Rolling Eyes

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Water is rising! 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Don Cutter
Hi Gang!
I am just home from two weeks in Brazil. The water levels on the Upper Unini continue to fall, but they are rising on the lower part of the river. The water is up in Manaus, and from the reports of fishermen on the plane today, the water levels have now risen in the Barcelos area. Looks like things are fast coming to a close. We will close after this week in anticipation of higher levels within the next few days.

On a positive side, the fishing has been the best we have seen on the Upper Unini in several years. Not only are the big fish biting, but we are catching a large number of fish in the 2 - 5 pound class which bodes well for the future health of the river. Can't wait until next year!!
Don
cancelations already ???? 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Rick Swain
Don, I'm confused by your post. everyone coming off trips to the unini are reporting better and better fishing, the water is still falling upstream but your closing after next week in "anticipation" of rising water ??? I would think if you have groups booked for weeks to come that they would be pretty dissapointed after hearing all the good reports coming in that they are going to get cancelled in " anticipation" of rising water this close to their trip. These trips don't get planned overnight so I'm assuming you have just one more group this year. I've heard some pretty good reports about the water getting better and even though it did rise slightly last week I heard it is falling again. The season may be coming to a close for some but it's also just beginning for others

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Don Cutter
Rick,
The irony of all this is that February on the Unini has typically been a bad month with rapid rises in water levels. As a result, we do not take bookings for the month - rather we wait until we see what levels are doing before selling additional trips. We don't like to postpone trips, but we have had to do that the past two years because January was so bad and February was worse.

Yes, you are hearing very good reports from the Unini, but most are coming from the Upper Unini. The lower Unini water levels started to rise a couple of weeks ago, and it looked like a repeat of previous seasons. As a result, we fished only one week in February. It was a bad call on my part, but I thought it was in the best interests of my clients.

For those who can continue to fish through February and March, I wish for you the best of luck. Maybe next year we will make a better call.
Don
Water Levels in Jan. 2007 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions