PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Tackle Good and Bad
Tackle Good and Bad 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
I tried some new things this time, some good and some bad.

Spike it worm paint from www.ispikeit.com

This is a great product and comes in many colors. It doesn't leech and holds it's color. You can use it days or weeks in advance and it will not bleed onto the lure or the other lures it touches after drying. Great on Banjo minnow's.

Shimano CU200DHSV 7.0:1 reel www.shimano.com/

This is absolutely a God send for top water Peacock Bass fishermen. Extra speed is great and and with no cranking power loss. I will have 2 of these next year instead of 1.

Pflueger President bait casting reel 6.3:1 www.pfluegerfishing.com

Great reel for the money. Holds lots of line and is smooth to reel. I paired this with a MH 6'6" rod for use with Yozuri crystal minnows. Loved it!

HighRoller Riproller 6.5" Riproller www.highrollerlures.com

This is in my opinion the best made, best painted and easiest to throw and retrieve topwater rippers on the market. In side by side tests this year the Riproller out caught the Biggame Woodchopper hands down.

Daiichi Blood red extra strength hooks www.daiichihooks.com/

I replaced my Yozuri Crystal minnows with these hooks and they preformed perfectly. I also caught large Piranha's with their single hook model with no malfunctions. We had one guy on the trip fishing with another brand of hooks for piranha and the fish actually closed the hook up when it bit down on it.

JoJo jigs

These are the jigs with the extra tail attached with mono line.
JoJo the guide at Don Cutter's camp, learned how to tie these from our own Charles Hammontree of the forum. Great bait and I caught a 20# on a green and white one!

Berkley Fireline www.berkley-fishing.com/

This is the only thing I tried and was disappointed in. This line doesn't rewind well on a spin casting reel and it sticks and seats into itself. This might be a great line for other applications , but is a poor choice for the Amazon.

I would like to know the Forums comments good and bad of products they have used this year.

Greg Thompson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
I tried some new things this time, some good and some bad.

Spike it worm paint from www.ispikeit.com

This is a great product and comes in many colors. It doesn't leech and holds it's color. You can use it days or weeks in advance and it will not bleed onto the lure or the other lures it touches after drying. Great on Banjo minnow's.

////////Greg, I totally agree on this marker. Rick Glover gave me a spike it marker that had red and yellow on it. All the fish seemed to like the organe belly baits so we used that marker to adjust the white bellies./////

Shimano CU200DHSV 7.0:1 reel www.shimano.com/

//////Greg in this topic I agree that the shimano reel is a great reel. But the Quantum burner 7.1 is in my opinion a much nicer ree than even the shimano. First, it is the easiest reel to tune for elimination of back lash. Second it casts a country mile very smoothly. Third, I love the drag system. Fourth and final it looks really cool.//////

This is absolutely a God send for top water Peacock Bass fishermen. Extra speed is great and and with no cranking power loss. I will have 2 of these next year instead of 1.

Pflueger President bait casting reel 6.3:1 www.pfluegerfishing.com

Great reel for the money. Holds lots of line and is smooth to reel. I paired this with a MH 6'6" rod for use with Yozuri crystal minnows. Loved it!

HighRoller Riproller 6.5" Riproller www.highrollerlures.com

///// I totally agree on the high rollers. They were my bait of choice on my last trip. I slayed them on the Halloween and firetiger color. Downside to them it seems that the top coat finish on them is not as good as it used to be. I have old high rollers that seemed to last alot longer than these did. The clear finish seems to peel of after acouple of good strikes. Others on my trip noticed the same thing.////////////

This is in my opinion the best made, best painted and easiest to throw and retrieve topwater rippers on the market. In side by side tests this year the Riproller out caught the Biggame Woodchopper hands down.

Daiichi Blood red extra strength hooks www.daiichihooks.com/

I replaced my Yozuri Crystal minnows with these hooks and they preformed perfectly. I also caught large Piranha's with their single hook model with no malfunctions. We had one guy on the trip fishing with another brand of hooks for piranha and the fish actually closed the hook up when it bit down on it.

JoJo jigs

These are the jigs with the extra tail attached with mono line.
JoJo the guide at Don Cutter's camp, learned how to tie these from our own Charles Hammontree of the forum. Great bait and I caught a 20# on a green and white one!

////////////Rick grover hooked me up with some jigs simialar to these jigs I think. I did not use them that much on this trip because the top water bite was on. But I gave some to guys that were with me and they caught alot of fish on the follow blow ups./////////////////

Berkley Fireline www.berkley-fishing.com/

////////Greg I am totally a Power pro guy. I had a spool on a spinning rod that had 30lb fireline and after the first day I took it off and respooled with 30 lb power pro. It has never let me down in many of trips. As long as you watch your line. If it starts to fray retie. ///////////

Just my two cents worth.

Sean Wood

This is the only thing I tried and was disappointed in. This line doesn't rewind well on a spin casting reel and it sticks and seats into itself. This might be a great line for other applications , but is a poor choice for the Amazon.

I would like to know the Forums comments good and bad of products they have used this year.

Greg Thompson

Last edited by Sean Wood on Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hey Greg 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Rick Grover
Those Jojo jigs are probably the same jigs that Randy Best tied and He and I loaded JoJo up on when we left the Unini. The ones made by Proline that I sent to Sean Wood are just as good if not better. Rick G.
Told you so! 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Greg,
About that 7:1 Curado. Hate to say I told you so---BUT---I told you so---HA! Remember those Elton Optics Wraptor sunglasses????? And about the Fireline. I completely agree. No comparison to PowerPro. I know that Dr. Gary really likes the Fireline and I respect his opinion, but I gave it a really fair trial and it's just not for me. Did you try the bew Woodchopper Slims? Like them a lot and they work very much like the High Rollers.
All the bass,
Gary C
Tackle Good and Bad 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Gary,

Still got my Wraptors from Elton optical. Best fishing glasses I have ever owned. New Shimano reel is the best PB reel I have ever had. I did not have any Woodchopper slims. I use nothing but Power Pro line and I still think Fireline is Junk for the Amazon!

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Alan Zaremba
Sean,
I hate to brag on the Quantum burner especially since they are one of my sponsers :-)) but I have used it on the last 7 trips since September, 2006 and have had zero problems. It is a God send for me. Works like a charm. I admit I have not tried the Shimano and have only heard complaints about the Dawai version (especially about the drag). I undrestand you all had a trip of a lifetime on the Pasimoni?
Tight lines,
Alan Z.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
Yes a trip of a lifetime for sure Alan. I have not had good fishing the last three trips so this made up for it.

Greg have you had a chance to try the Quatum? If not buy one and you will not be disappointed.

I asked greg before I left what the name of the sunglass company was that he bought from and after talking to him I also bought a pair of Elton Glasses. THey are really nice glasses. The only change I would make to them would be to have some sort of rubber nose piece. When I have sunscreen on and sweating the glasses slide down alittle. Besides that they are really great glasses and inexpensive for what they are.

Sean Wood

Tackle Good and Bad 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
I picked up a Quantum at Cabela's and it was very smooth. None of the things I reported on sponsor me, it was just what I tried. That is why I ask for comments from members that have tried other products. I don't want to make a mistake taking something down that people have tried and didn't care for. I learned about the Elton Optics glasses from forum member Gary Clark. Thanks again Gary!
Doc, Did you find your popper? 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Gary,
Did you find your popper replacement. Shoot me an email. I may have found your answer.
All the bass,
Gary C

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Well I have to admit that I again used the old Daiwa PM33SH 7:1 reel that I bought off EBAY when casting the big topwaters this year. I threw it for two weeks and it's still working even though it was a little noisy by the last day. I have used these reels the last three trips and just can't put them down. Spooled it with 65# braid and it worked just dandy. There was always a question about the drag but I still have never lost a fish on any reel because of the drag. I believe more fish are lost due to a drag that works too well than one that doesn't. When you are fishing with 30, 40 or 50# line the drag is something you really have to watch or the big fish will break you off anyway. My two cents worth.

My little Bass Pro Extreme high speed reel worked great till a monster hit a Yo Zuri that I was lifting out of the water at the boat. He peeled away at high speed and did a little damage to the gears before he spit it out.

Jigs worked well and I will be prepared the next time down with plenty tied in various colors.

Bobby Foster
Tackle Good and Bad 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle