PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Bobby, Just for you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Gary, did you hear when they will be available. Also where did you see the info regarding the new Calais.
Bobby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Gary, saw the new Calais on line at Bass Pro Shops and I will have to pass, it is listed at $ 649.99. Can't justify that price and the spool is smaller than the new Curado also. It must be some kind of reel for that money.
Bobby
Hey Gary Cut it out 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Gary,

What are you guys trying to do to me. I am going to be fishing with Bobby for two weeks. His wife says he is walking every day to get in shape. I already don't stand a chance and you guys just keeping give him all these good tips and product ideas. LOL By the way Gary, I got my new Shimano 7.1 in the mail yesterday. I would have gotten some pearl white 5" banjo minnows in the mail today but somebody already snatched them all up! Any Idea WHO GARY?????

Everyone have a great weekend,

Greg Thompson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Greg, If we are real nice to them and they have some left over maybe they will put them in a bag and let Tony keep them for us till we get there. Hard to believe there are no more Banjo 5" pearls floating around anywhere. Hope the camp still has some when we get there. Good luck to all.

Bobby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Ok Gary, tell what I will do. Since I haven't read a report on the Bass Pro Shops Extreme 7.1 to 1 high speed reel with 31" retreive I will gladly run it thru the mill for you guys. On sale right now for $ 49.99.

Bobby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Gary, three years ago I bought a couple of the high speed Daiwa's for my trip south. Didn't know anything about them but the speed sounded good. The second day I started using them and never put them down for the rest of the trip. I caught 32 fish between ten and nineteen lbs. and never had a problem. As far as the cranking power goes, don't think I noticed much difference than my Shimano's but it might be because I am a little excited with a fish on so I might not notice the difference. I would say the action is much smoother and for lack of a better term they just seemed tighter and much more of a quality reel. When you look at the Daiwa after a week it looks like it's about to fall apart were the Shimano looks like it did at the beginning of the week. One of my buddies did burn the drag up on one of his Daiwas so he quit fishing with them. I mostly use it with big topwaters when I become fatigued. I think the little Bass Pro Reel might surprise us, when you get back let me know what you think. Might want to pick up another one at that price. Good luck.

Bobby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Gary C. and all who want to know. Was told tonight that the Bass Pro Extreme 7.1 high speed reel will no longer be available. What ever the stores have is it. Did get a report from a buddy who used it on his last trip and said it performed very well without any problems. I bought another one today as a spare for future trips if it works ok on my upcoming trip. Everyone pray for the rain to stop. Good luck Gary C. on your next trip.

Bobby Foster
Xtreme 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
Bobby,
I also ordered one and got it today. It seems smaller to me, but I will give it a good throw this december and see how it performs.
I will let you know as it is coming up soon.
I also bought a new Quatum and Curado high speed which I will also be checking out.
Sean Wood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Sean I agree about the size as far as spooling with 80# braid goes. I bought it for the purpose of using no larger than 50# braid. With the 150 yards of 12# mono rating you can spool plenty of the 50# braid which is the same diameter as the 12# mono. You might even get 65# braid to work haven't tried one with it though. That is the problem with some of the smaller reels, you can't get a lot of the 80# spooled on them. When you compare the new high speed Curado it is rated for 110 yards of 14# mono (110 yards of 65# braid) and the Quantum is rated for 150 yards of 12# mono ( 150 yards of 50# braid) so the spools are the same as the Bass Pro Reel. I am not comparing this reel with the other two as far as reliability by no means but hope it will hold up for a year or two till the next new speed burner comes available. Hope you have a good trip and be sure to check back when you return with your report.

Bobby Foster
Bobby, Just for you! 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle