PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » questions about reel
questions about reel 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
neal m brown
i read alan zaremba's thread about the quantum reel with a lot of interest as i recently lost my curado and now need to get a new reel as i am leaving for the amazon on dec 15. while i am primarily a fly fisherman i do bring and use casting gear in the amazon as well as fly gear, but i'm not that knowledgable about baitcasting gear and thus have a few questions. with the quantum and new curado gear ratio of 7:1 isn't a lot of power being lost? isn't it more important to be able to hold the fish in the beginning of the fight rather than to reel it in fast? btw, my other reel is a calcutta 201. i think the gear ratio is 5.2:1. i use it for top water and used the curado for sub surface. my thinkig has been that a little more power for suface strikes warranted the calcutta/lower gear ratio. is my thinking flawed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
NBurnell
Neil,
The fast retrieve is more for working the large topwater baits. The faster retrieve allows you to pick-up slack line, more easily, after ripping the bait forward. The fact of the matter is that you don't want to try and put a lot pressure of a big peacock, let you drag do it's thing. What I have found is the only time you really have control of a big peacock is when you holding it for a picture and even then I sometimes wonder. My opinion is the three things you want in your reel is strong gears, a larger spool for line capacity and a great drag system. Goog luck on you upcoming peacock trip.
Nelson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Hey Neal! Nelson is right on, but please read my comments about the new Curado 7:1 in the previous thread. One of the things I am MOST impressed about is the fact that it is so powerful. Usually, the higher the gear ratio the more cranking power that one loses. Don't know how Shimano did it, but I can't tell any "power" difference between the new one and other 5:1's or 6:1's. All the bass, Gary C

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
I agree with Nelson also and he should know, he has caught more fish over twenty pounds than anyone I know of. The really huge fish pretty much do what they want for the first couple runs, and I think a lot are actually lost because the fisherman tries to put too much pressure on the fish and therefore the hooks rip loose. Just my opinion and if Nelson told to show up with a Zebco 303 I probably would, I respect his opinion for sure. Good luck and all report back in with your results.

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
neal m brown
thanks so much. the new curado it is. one lst question. what do you recoomend for line keping in mind the capacity of the reel? as i mentioned before i've been using the larger capacity calcutta for topwater but will likely start using it for subsurface.l
Line? 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Neal,
The Curado has plenty of PowerPro line capacity up to 80#. Don't forget on any casting reel to first put a few wraps of monofilament on the spool, then tie in the braid. Prevents the braid from slipping on the spool and causing drag problems. Another option is to put electrical tape around the spool so that the slick braid can "grab" into it and not slip. Let us know how you like the reel. Good luck and
All the bass,
Gary C

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
neal m brown
you guys are the best. thanks, neal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:48 am Reply with quote
Alan Zaremba
Neal and all,
Without a question to me the most important time of fighting the fish is in the beginning. That is were the rod , reel and fisherman need to be patient. I have learned over the years you can't horse these fish and try to overpower them especially in the start of a fight. There are many reels out there and they all work to a degree one way or the other. Everybody has a favorite! I like Quantum basically because they as a company the last few years have become much more customer friendly. They are no longer part of a major company and it show's in many ways. I suggest you go out and feel the reels for comfort. Neal, have a great trip and I look forward to hearing how you do when you return. Speaking of fishing off to work I go!
Tight lines,
Alan Z.
Alan, Ditto---- 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Alan and All, Just wanted to ditto a couple of things. As I said in a previous thread, in recent years I have been so very impressed with Quantum's customer service. It is apparent they want to go "above and beyond the call" for anglers. Give them a big "thank you" from us, Alan. Also, completely agree with all you guys that initial patience might be the single most important thing in fighting AND LANDING a big peacock. I am totally convinced that big peacocks know by heart (and practice) the rule that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The more pressure you put on one at the outset, the more trouble you're going to get in return. As the beer commercial says, "Man law????" HA! All the bass, Gary C

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Neal:

While I'm a big Curado fan, you should take a look at the Pflueger President wide spool. I found the Curado's are more limited on line capacity so much so that after a long cast with a woodchopper I was way down the spool. The President is high speed, high capacity and quite smooth and strong. Oh by the way...I think there a bit cheaper as well.

My two cents...
questions about reel 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle