PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Jig Travel Rod
Jig Travel Rod 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
You guys that have been asking me about a 6'6" 3pc. spinning travel rod for jigs......I hate to say it, but I just got my Christmas catalog from Bass Pro yesterday, and they have one that looks like its what we want.

Can't remember the model right now, (think it was the Extreme), but it was rated at 10-20lb. line rating, up to 1 oz. lure,, which is exactly what we need for the jigs. I think it was about $70 bucks. I had not noticed this one in the main catalog before. If its not a typo, then it should be the ticket. Anybody who lives close enough to a Bass Pro needs to go take a look at it and let us know what you think. This is the only place I've found (even from the blank mfrs.) that actually makes a 6'6" 3 pc. spinning travel rod with these specs.

Dink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Dink,
I have two of these Extreme spinning rods. For me (and Gary Laden) the handles are to thick and big for your hands. The best I have now are four Cabelas XML 4 piece spinning rods - see link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0019456117946a&type=product&cmCat=searchFeat&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Cabelas+travel+rods&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Cabelas+travel+rods&noImage=0

Great rods.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Oops....went back and looked at the ad when I got home today and it was a casting rod with those ratings, not a spinner. They still stop at 10-17#line 3/4 lure rating, just like everybody else.

Steve,

We've been looking for a 6'-6" 3 pc. rod (or blank) one power stronger than everything that's available. For me, the Cabelas one you linked me to is still lighter than I'm looking for. I was using one rated the same as the one I mentioned above last year (except it was one pc.) and it was fine except when I hooked one better than 10lbs. I couldn't turn him fast enough and it would take me into the jungle. (Remember the water was way,way, up when I was there).

I have some 784 blanks (6'-6" 4 power) that are perfect for what I want, but I can't get them in multi-piece. Peacocks are way to much fish for me to experiment with homemade ferrules (I have done it before) to make it multi-piece. I'm expecting an experimental blank from a company in Australia any day now with the ratings I need. Will let everybody know how it works out.......

Dink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Gary,

Yes, I've seen BPS's travel rods. My point is nobody goes higher than a 10-17 lb. line rating 1/2-3/4oz. lure rating in a 6'-6" model. This is commonly referred to as a 3 power by rodbuilders. It is used by bass fishermen for topwaters, spinnerbaits, and crankbaits. I'm used to fishing in heavy cover here on Lake Okeechobee, and a 3 power is not heavy enough even for largemouth when you have to fish cover. And we're only talking about fish in the 2-5 lb. range in a normal days fishing. A 3 power would never land you a 10lb. largemouth out of the grass......without a lot of luck.

I fished a 3 power 6'-6" (one pc.) on the Negro last year with jigs. It was perfect until I got a fish 8-10lbs. I couldn't turn him before he reached the brush and broke me off or buried so deep we couldn't get to him. I'm convinced I want a 6'-6" 3 pc. in a 4 power for my jigs so I can manhandle the bigger fish. As long as you're in open water, most of the 3pc. rods available will work fine. With the high water last year we were pitching the jigs in and around the bush constantly. I probably caught a dozen flipping like I do at home.

I'm looking for a monster on a jig this time, so I want the rod to handle him Laughing

Dink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Dink,
I will be the guinea pig if you like on a 3 power. Make me a 4 piece 6'6" rod to play with and I'll prove to you I can pull out a big fish. My two biggest fish have been 23# on a jig, and the last one was right in the brush. Let me know how much it will cost me.
Also, Gary Laden, the reason I wouldn't lend you my rod, was your beer was too warm for Charles and me to even contemplate lending it. Also, Charles started to use my spare as he only had baitcasting gear. Sorry. That'll teach you to bring only 4 bitty rods!!!! How are your white bits??
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:53 am Reply with quote
Alan Zaremba
Steve,
I bring down about 15 rods of all different style's and makes. Never leave home without!!!!! I have found that most times with a light medium action rod you can handle some big peacock bass. This isn't to say you win every battle but with patience you will win your good share. This last trip I caught a 11# peacock on a clear Zara Spook junior and 8# mono line. Last year on the Pasimoni River I caught a 16# peacock bass on the medium light action rod, #20 catalyst spin reel and 8# test mono line. By the way I was using a clear Rat-L-Top (like a tiny torpedo). The guides hate it when I pull out that stuff.
As to warm beer I can't blame you from barring them from the equipment, I would too! Well enough said I have to go to work and will be off to the airport at 3:00 PM today back to Brazil.
Tight lines,
Alan Z.
Larry-you were right it was my computer as I have no problems getting to the forum on the new computer :-)).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:01 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Okay, you guys are bustin' my chops now.... Embarassed

Steve,

Yes, I agree with you and Alan. A fisherman with you guys experience can and have caught large peacock on lighter tackle. After so many trips and so many fish you don't have as much to prove as us rookies. You also know when and where you can get away with throwing the lighter stuff. It also doesn't break your heart as much as ours when you lose a big one. :wink:

Alan,

I bet when you were fishing tournaments against me on Lake O that you weren't fishing with 8lb. test. :wink: Also, this will be my first shot at fishing with the lower water and I might have to change my tactics also. But I still have that tournament mentality that I don't want to lose the fish that might have won the money because of the wrong (lighter) tackle.

Also, don't think that everything you guys are telling me isn't getting filed away in my memory banks. I appreciate every tidbit of info I can squeeze out of you. Everybody on this forum has sped up my learning curve for these fish considerably.

Steve,

I'll email you about the rod.......

Dink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Is this the same man I saw straightening the hook on a Yozuri using 60# line on a 15# fish on Dink's rod?? Methinks with all that brute force, you'd 'ping' off your 15# on 4# line!! Wouldn't have happened with my medium spinning jig rod and 20# Power Pro. In fact, if I recall, I caught a 17# in the tournament and a 18# on one of the practice days on the same rod.
All joking aside, someone needs to get that record on light line. I hope you do it. I said before, the world record will come out of the Unini, I have no doubts. It is a consistant big fish river. Good luck all.
Steve
Jig Travel Rod 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle