PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Travel Rod Case

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Lance Rollins
Gary.....were you able to carry this case on or did you have to check it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Lance Rollins
Ooops.......I just reread your submission, I see you were able to carry it on. I've got a homemade 31 inch case that will hold 5 rods with one of them being a spinning rod, I've been curious if I would indeed be able to carry it with me.
Sometimes is the answer 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
One week ago, a friend carrying a 30 inch rod case with one fly rod was allowed to carry it on at two US boarding airports (Jax & Miami), but yesterday, security/inspection at the Manus airport did NOT allow it as a carry on the TAM Airlines flight to Miami.

I think that final decision (allowed or not) varies depending on where you go through security check, even in the US.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
travel rod case 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
Larry,
The same thing happened to me in July before the current airline change.
I had no prblem getting it down to Brazil. But on the way back Manaus (TAM) would not let me carry it on to Miami. Once in Miami, I carried it all the way back home.
The problem I ran into with not being able to carry it on from Manaus was that they marked it as fragile. So it was the last piece of baggage to come up in Miami 2 1/2 hours later.

My opinion is I would try to carry it down with me so I had it and on the way back I would figure that you won't be able to carry it on.

Hope this helps.
Sean

Carry on? 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote
Alan Zaremba
Sean,
A few years ago I made a choice that it would always be easier to just check everything in and have less problems in boarding the plane. I feel this is better for everybody, no delays in boarding and this is what I suggest to everyone going down with me. Keep it simple! Good luck!
Alan Z.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Alan,

I would agree with you in theory, but.......

In my rodbuilding business I have had customers bring rods back to me that they've checked, and you wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen. Some had mangled cases with broken rods inside, but the worst was the ones that would show me their case, without a mark on it......and the rods inside would be broken into three pieces. Admittedly, these were the long cases with one piece rods in them.

As I don't warranty rods for this, I tend to believe them. In some instances, the rods had to have been removed from the cases and broken maliciously. I would be highly upset to get to Brazil and find my rods broken after investing heavily in the trip of a lifetime. I think this is why most people feel more comfortable keeping their rods where they can see them. The cost of the rods can be recovered from the airlines, but the cost of a ruined trip cannot.......

Dink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
Alan Zaremba
Dink,
I know this can happen but after 30 plus trips to Manaus I have never had this happen (you know it will happen this time). What I try and do is wrap the rods with shirts and sox. I have seen some people wrap them in bubble wrap even. I also think it will get tougher and tougher to bring things on the plane's for the future. No matter, maybe I have just been lucky so far but that is what I do. It's just an opinion to avoid the hassle's of getting on the plane. Good luck!
Alan Z.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Alan,

Don't know what the difference would be, but these were all domestic flights. I've got a friend in Virginia that comes down every year to fish Lake O, and he has had to resort to sending his rods UPS to assure he has something to use when he gets here. It would be nice if this were a viable option for the Amazon......just send everything ahead of time and not have to worry....... 8)

Dink
Dink and Alan, 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Dink and Alan, I have to say that with one exception, I agree completely with Alan. My one exception? My reels. I always carry them on simply because I don't want them lost in luggage, and they have never caused me any problem whatsoever in carry-on. I do overwrap the braided line on the spools with electrical tape so that the line doesn't show. This only because a couple of guys had problems at security with the braided line on their reels. I am building an arsenal of two piece rods (and now three piece with the rod Dink is building for me), but not so that I can carry them on. Just too much trouble or potential trouble for me. I'm doing it so that my rods will fit in a shorter, very substantial case that I have found for checked baggage. Also much easier to tote it around the airports, on the charter flights, in the cabins, etc. Finally, let me say that I did have one disastrous episode with my rods that I had checked a few years back. Coming back from Mexico, when the rod case arrived in Orlando, it appeared that someone had run over it with one of the freight trucks. One end was totally flattened! Not a pretty sight, but Continental bought me all new Loomis rods without blinking an eye. Just said send us the bill. I'm sure I was very very lucky on that one. All the bass,
Gary C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote
Alan Zaremba
Gary and all,
I guess it comes down to opinions. I have always considered myself very lucky and pretty good at dealing with what life puts my way. I like to head to Manaus as hassle free as possible. Looking forward to being back in Brazil and tangling with my bigger friends, which brings me to getting back to work. To my little friends in South Florida! Good luck to all (well almost all)!!!!!

Tight lines,
Alan Z.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
The fact that most operations are providing rods, reels, and tackle now makes this much less of an issue than in the past. Yes, I much prefer to fish my own tackle, but at least now a disaster such as losing or breaking your rods probably wouldn't ruin your trip.

You guys leave me a 20 pounder......its still a month before I leave. I'd like to catch one with no hook marks in his mouth......:wink:

Dink
Travel Rod Case 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle