PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Hey Jig Experts---What weight?????

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Gary, undoubtably 1/2oz is the best in lagoons and slow riverine systems. If you find any deep holes or undercut banks, let it sink a bit to about 1-2m and rip it like a fast jerkbait. The bite is hard hitting, never soft, always on the rip, not the pause, so always anticipate!!
Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Make it three of us. I experimented with different sizes last year and the 1/2oz. is the way to go. I got hold of some really long bucktails last week and tied up some really long jigs, put them on 1/2 oz. head. I may find out they would have worked better on a 3/4oz. head because of so much hair......then again, they may not work at all..... :wink:

Steve may disagree with me, but last year when my jig started to get thin, the bites seemed to taper off. A new jig and the bite would be right back on again. I had some 1/2 maribou jigs that I tied up last year and they didn't do anything. Didn't have enough bulk it seemed to me.

The largemouth here on Lake Okeechobee are just the opposite. They will wear out a maribou, but won't hardly touch a bucktail.

Dink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Dink,
Although I don't tie up super-thin jigs, a few years ago I fished with a partner from Canada on the upper Matupiri, shallow water and loads of rocks. At one point, the jig I gave him had been so badly damaged by the huge amount of fish he caught, that there was only a small bit of material left, hanging on the bend of the hook! And he still kept on catching more than me! From that day on, I started to tie jigs with a bit less material and I started to get even better results than before.
I've started to experiment now with a few different colors. Gary Laden's Crystal minnow blue and pink doesn't do it for me (must be the pink!!) but I tied him some for the tournament and they worked well. I still love my Green and white, with a red throat. Black or green thread. Dink, try this color and you will be amazed. It will work when the fish are just not on the bite, better than any color I have tried during the 'lunch' period. And make them about 8-9" long by using a longer mono tailpiece. I started to tie these when I saw large Tucs chasing smaller 'green' butterflies. Also, try out the black and white with a red tail. This imitates Ariri, small silver fish with a bright red tail that were the prominant baitfish when we fished the tournament. Wayne Hockmeyer fished his Banjos that he colored up with red tails and had great results.
Also, I'm interested in how you fish your maribou jigs for largemouths? Do you bottom bounce or strip? We have largemouths in a lake near me here in Portugal and I'm bored using the usual conventional gear!
Thanks.
Steve.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Steve,

Maribou jigs are my secret bait for largemouths here. Hardly anyone else fishes them. 1/4 oz. is the ticket, mostly all white, sometimes yellow, sometimes black, depending on the water and the sky. My largest bass, 11lbs-8oz. came off a 1/4oz. white maribou jig. They are deadly on schooling fish. I mainly use them either on schoolers, or in and around moving water.

Ninety percent of the time its bouncing it off the bottom. The mostly hit it on the fall after you've bounced it up. I've got to where I fish my jig and a worm basically with the same motion. I tend to fish a worm a little faster than most. Every once in a while they will get on it swimming, but not often. It took me a while to figure out how to fish the jigs for peacock as the technique is totally different than for largemouths.

Dink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Thanks Dink.
Also, Gary, I tie in a bunch of Flashibou to extend the tail and to give it extra action and flash, then tie in a thicker amount in between the 'belly' hair and the 'back' hair of the jig. When using a color other than red for the back, use a bit of red hair at the throat for extra attraction.
I used to tie in Krystal flash and Flashibou but it made the jig too thick and bulky so now use loads of Flashibou to give it that extra sparkle in the water.
If you tie in extra flash into the tail, you'll get an 8-9" jig. The idea is that the 'back' and tail hair should join together to look like a longer back, and the flashibou extends it by another few inches.
Post some pics of your jigs? Love to see them. I could give my opinion if you like, if they need improving on.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Gary,
Larry posted the pics on the PBA ezine. Can't remember which month, but think only a couple of months ago. I'll send directly to you if you can give me your email address.
I tie the tail section with stiff 100# mono, pinching the end in the vice so the bucktail won't come off. Tie in the hair and then the flashibou, then superglue in place at the whipped finish. Pinch the other end (I use my teeth!) and this will stop it sliding off the jighead. Glue this in as well. Then tie in belly hair, flashibou and lastly back hair. Glue on top of the whipped finish. Easy as that.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
I second that request Gary, I am getting lost on how to make the jigs up to eight inches long. The pics I have are just the jig heads without the extended area to make them that long. I assume what ever you use for the extension is where you tie the rest of the material to make them that long. Seems to me you would need a bunch of these extensions made up cause they probably catch most of the piranhas destruction. Sure wish someone in my area was a big time jig fisherman so I could see the finished product. Thanks, Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
I will take some pics of each step and email each of you. Send me your email addresses. I'll try and do this tonight.
Steve.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Steve, bet you wish we would go back to our topwaters and leave you alone. I appreciate the knowledge you share with all of us ole topwater hard heads, but with the water conditions the last couple years we need a couple alternatives just in case. Thanks, Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
I agree Gary, those pics are what I needed and it's actually a simple solution once you are shown how it's done. Thanks a lot to Steve for taking the time to go through the tieing steps from start to finish. I think I can take it from here on. Good luck Gary, Bobby foster
Hey Jig Experts---What weight????? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle