PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Jigs with trailer hooks
Jigs with trailer hooks 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Since I had never tied any jigs a friend of mine had one of his fly fishing buddies produce a couple for me with 1/2 oz. heads. He also included a couple trailer hooks that were tied with feathers also. They really look good, do any of you jig fishermen use the trailer hook with feathers. The hook has a large eye that will fit over the jig hook if I squeeze the barb a little. Looking forward to giving them a try. Good luck to all who are heading down this month. Bobby Foster
Funny you should ask 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Bobby,

It's funny you mention this......I've been tying up jigs for a couple of weeks now to take down with me next month and I made up some the same way.

Take a piece of small surgical tubing about a quarter of an inch long and put it over the eye on your trailer hook. Then stick the jig hook thru that and it will hold it in place.

Let me see if this works......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Dink that's the very tip I needed to keep the trailer hook from coming off. This guy did an excellent job with the decorating of the trailers, they should work great on the big boys. The jig head in the top picture is identical to the ones I bought except mine are white. Thanks again, Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
I a total rookie when it comes to making the jigs, but the trick with the surgical tubing is something us largemouth fishermen have been using for years for putting trailer hooks on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits.

Dink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Dink and Bobby,
Nice looking jigs, Dink. I like your colors too. Try some red and chartreuse in black water and you'll slay them. White and red seems to work better in murkier water. Charles Hammontree, my partner in crime in the tournament, had great success using dark blue and black with dark flash. Try it out. I'm working on some new colors which I will be experimenting with this season and will post results and photos afterwards.
Just a bit of advise, when tying jigs for Tucs, one thing I've learnt over the years is that less can be more! Less bucktail used for a slimmer profile gives a better action to jigs. Too much and it tends to look too beefed-up and the action is spoiled. Try getting 8" including the tail section with a slim profile and you will score big time, including some huge fish. My top 6 biggest fish have all been on homemade long and slim jigs!! Try it out. Seemed to work in the tournament!!
Also the idea of the rubber works great and the 'tail' section aligns well. I think this is the best way to link-in a stinger. And you will catch alot of short-takers. Something that happens alot in dirty water. Charles had a load on his jigs during the tournament, most on the edge of their mouths, which would have been missed if he hadn't used the stinger hook.
Good luck and post the results!!
Steve.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Steve,

When I got started tying I just couldn't stop. I've got thin ones, thick ones, heavy ones, light ones, every color combination you can think of. I must have 5 lbs. of jigs to take with me Embarassed

I figure I can thin out the ones that are too heavily layered, but I couldn't add to them (while in the amazon). I have such an assortment now, that I should have a pretty good idea when I get back of what works, and what doesn't. I understand what you mean by less is more. It's that way with a lot of fishing lures. I took pictures of the bushy ones, because I couldn't get the thinner ones to show very well with my camera.

One question though......I had some rubber skirts for spinnerbaits (musky size) and I put some of those on jig heads. Darn if they don't look like they would do an excellent job as well. Any of you ever tried this. Kind of like bass flipping jigs. I'll try to post a picture when I get home tonite to show you what I mean.

Dink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Thanks Charles, Steve and Dink for all the info on how to rig and fish the jigs. Am really looking forward to seeing the Stevie Stinger and Charles's prop baits. One more question on the jigs, is there a favorite time of the day for fishing them or is an all day choice for you guys. You have to understand I have always been a die hard topwater man so this is going to be a big challenge for me to stick with. You guys have proven they work so will be giving them a try for sure. Thanks, Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Ok Gary I will give them a try every day the two weeks I am there. Got my new Stradic spinning reel, 30, 40 and 50# test line and an assortment of jigs in the works. Now just need a couple of Charles's Pavon Props when he gets them on the market. We have a couple fly fisher persons with us my second week so I will be bring down some extra tieing material just in case we run low. Can't wait. Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Bobby,
Use the 30# on your Stradic. Jig all day if necessary and you'll clean up. The good thing about jigs is that they will catch nearly EVERY fish in the area, large and small. It's not a selective lure, fish just can't seem to ignore them. Woodchoppers will normally sort out the big guys from the boys, but when the bite is off, you won't get a fish to hit. Bring out the jig and it's like magic!!
As far as your flyfishermen are concerned, where a jig will catch 100+ a day, they will catch +150+ a day!! The fly will stay in the strike zone for longer. Bring loads of flies (120 for the week) or loads of stuff to retie. Piranhas love 'em.
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Wow, 120 flies is a lot. Steve do you always bring that many on your trips or do you tie as you go at the camps. I thought a couple dozen would be enough but I am way off. I may need to check into a fly tieing class or I had better learn real quick how to tie them. I know the piranhas will go after them so if you fish with them a lot guess you would need a bunch. Sure would be easy if you could just use the rubber buck tails as Dink mentioned. You could use one on the head itself and one on the stinger hook and keep using the same heads over and over. Have you ever tried this application. There are numerous color schemes on these bucktails and changing them would be a snap. Always good to hear your ideas so keep them coming throughout the season. Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Bobby,
I went through nearly 100 jigs for Charles and I, fishing together with the piranhas in the tournament. You can see how well it paid off though. If we had used flies, that number would have doubled. The Piranhas have a field day as the fly is in the strike zone for longer, and they have more time to mangle them.
To be honest, I have tried tying jigs and flies at the camp/lodge, and believe me, after a hard day's fishing, the last thing you want to do is spend 1-2 hrs tying up another 20 jigs/flies again. And you have to 'clean-up' the old jigs/flies before re-tying tails and then the bodies. It's a real pain in the butt.
Bring enough, you will always use them on another trip if you have too many.
One guy from Alabama we fished with on the Tapera used flies only the whole trip. He brought about 50 flies and after the 3rd day, was begging for materials to tie more.
Just my 5 cents.
Steve.
Jigs with trailer hooks 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle