PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » How much tackle?
How much tackle? 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
I'm going down the first week of November, and of course I've already started getting my tackle together Laughing To be able to take everything I would like would take me way over my weight limit for the little plane.

How many plugs do you guys feel comfortable taking. My two biggest fears are that they'll be hitting best on the one I left behind, or that I'll lose the one they're hitting best. Same thing with jigs. I've tied up about 30 so far, and I keep coming up with new patterns that I want to try. And of course, with jigs, I don't feel right unless I have 3 or 4 of each pattern.

Last year they were hot on the black and orange woodchopper slim. The operator had tons of extra tackle for us, but it didn't take long for all the black and orange to disappear, leaving a couple of us without. I had a black and orange high roller but it just wouldn't produce like the brighter orange of the woodchoppers. Plus, I spent a lot of time tuning mine before I left to get them to run the way I wanted.

I guess I could leave my shoes and underwear to make room for extra tackle Laughing

Dink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Dink,
I have been heavy with the large topwaters in the past years, especially the black and orange and black and orange with gold sides. This year I will be loaded again with those two colors along with a good assortment of smaller topwaters and dog walkers. I just counted my woodchoppers and came up with ten plus five of the woodchopper slims and five of the smaller peacock bass specials. Also five of the HighRoller RipRollers, eight dog walkers, three poppers and an assortment of spoons, Yo-Zuri Crystal minnows, rattle traps and off the shelf jigs. Sounds like a bunch of tackle and I probably want fish with a third of them the two weeks I am there but just don't want to be caught short. Well that's my aresenal, lets hear what the rest of you guys take along. Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Lance Rollins
I'm new to Peacock Bass fishing but I've been gathering my gear now for the past couple of months, feel like I'm kind of going middle of the road.......taking a little bit of everything. 6 woodchoppers (2 b & O, 2 clown and 2 firetiger) 6 peacock bass specials, 5 amazon rippers. 3 or 4 each of the following, yo-zuri, redfins, spooks, some big chuggers, mag rattle-traps, pet spoons and about 25 jigs. I'm thinking of taking 5 rods and reels with one of them being a spinning reel. I'm wondering how many rods do most of you take out each day?
One of my Secrets 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:44 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Dink, Bobby & Lance,

Just to get it out of the way, I'll usually take out 5 baitcasting outfits the first day or two with a variety of lures set up, and then after I hone in on the best pattern for that location and time, I'll cut back to four (or in some cases three) outfits.

My secret for efficient packing tackle - When you need to be prepared with 3 or 4 plugs of the same color and want to take 5 or 6 different colors, try this:

1. Take two of each with all hardware in place.
2. Take off the hooks from the other two of the same color, leaving you with a total of 12 lure "bodies" (with only eye screws and split rings in place) in your box. The "bodies" without hooks will pack much better into the spaces (compartments).
3. Take about 3 sets of hooks (only) for use on the 12 lure "bodies". That will cut down on the weight slightly and the space that the lures take up a lot!
4. Carry split ring pliars with you on the trip, of course. If you need additional hooks (to make the lures complete), simply borrow them from other plugs (with similar hooks) that you are not using.

I learn something about packing efficiency on almost every trip and I experiment a lot with new plugs and rigs frequently, so I have to try to be so. Hopes this helps!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Larry, Nice tip! 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Larry,
Good ideas! I especially like the one about separate lure bodies and hardware. As you know, I modify and "tinker" with lures a lot during my trips, but have never packed them separately. Truth be known, I am learning to take less and less each trip, rather than more and more. No matter how much one packs, the very lure you leave behind will no doubt be the one you wind up needing the most---HA!
All the bass,
Gary C

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote
Lance Rollins
I guess witht he hooks removed you can carry your large wooden lures as carry -on........right? I keep worrying a bit about getting all my tackle down there, I've had experience with lost luggage before

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Like the idea about leaving the hooks off. For you guys who carry your own reels, how many do you bring on your trips. I have a problem with bringing too many. Am trying to cut back this year but just can't decide which ones to leave at home, especially since I am adding a spinning reel this year. I bought an extra spool on ebay for the spinning reel which gives me three total that will be spooled with different size line for easy changing if needed. One will have 30#, one with 40# and one with 50#. My three Shimano Calais will have one at 80# and two with 65#. Then comes the Diawa Procaster 7 to 1 retreive with 65#. That's already five and I have one more Bass Pro reel with 40# I would like to bring along also. Decisions, decisions. Good luck to all. Bobby Foster
How much tackle? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle